Why Take Flight to Lhasa from Mianyang
1. It is inexpensive, and cost fewer hours to take a flight from Mianyang to Lhasa, compared with other top cities like Bejing, Guangzhou, Xian and Shanghai. Usually only about 2 hours and 20 minutes are needed for the flight transfer. And the full price for an economy class ticket is only 1740 CNY (around $256).
2. Mianyang can be used as a great backup plan when you might be not able to book a Tibet flight from Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Chengdu, etc. It is usually much easier to book a flight to Lhasa from Mianyang especially during moths like July, August, September and October.
3. Mianyang can be reached from Chengdu or Jiuzhaigo conveniently. From Chengdu, there are many high speed trains to Mianyang which cost less 1 hour to go. From Jiuzhaigou, there are many buses to Mianyang City, costing only about 5 hours.
4. Mianyang is the second largest flight hub in Sichuan Province. It is well connected to other cities in China, such as Xian, Beijing, Shenzhen, Lijiang, Zhengzhou, Urumqi etc. You can definitely travel from these cities to Mianyang, then take a flight to Tibet.
5. Mianyang is a great place for a short break. It is famous for historical sites of Tang Dynasty and Three Kingdoms Culture.
Beautiful Mianyang City
Mianyang Lhasa Flights Schedules, Airlines and Fares
Currently there are 5~6 flights flying between Mianyang Nanjiao Airport and Lhasa Gonggar Airport every day - 2 or 3 flights to Lhasa from Mianyang and 3 or 4 flights to Mianyang from Lhasa. Please note that the flight schedules will be cut down during winter and spring seasons.
Mianyang to Lhasa Flights Timetable
Every day, there are 2 or 3 flights departing from Mianyang to Lhasa, including 2 direct flights which fly everyday in a week, and a connecting flight which usually make stopover at Lanzhou. Check out the following latest updated Mianyang to Lhasa flights schedules:
Important Notice: 1) Above flight schedules and fares are only for reference, please contact us to catch up on the latest information. But we usually will keep them updated; 2) The airlines companies usually will cut down the flight schedules during winter and spring seasons. There may be no daily flight in some months.
Where to Take Flight to Tibet – Mianyang Nanjiao Airport
Mianyang Nanjiao Airport (IATA: MIG; ICAO: ZUMY) serves Mianyang, the second largest city in Sichuan Province. Opened to air traffic in April, 2001, the airport is a new flight hug with modern facilities. It possesses a great location – only 10km from Mianyang city downtown, connected to Chengdu-Mianyang Highway, Mianyang-Guangyuan Highway, Jiuzhaigou Circuit Highway.
Domestic Flights to Mianyang
During its early period, Mianyang Nanjiao Airport only operated flights to nearby cities, such as Kunming, Chongqing, etc. In 2012, many new air lines were put into operation to connect Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Lhasa, Nanjing, Lijiang, Xian, Shijiazhuang, Jinan, Zhengzhou, Sanya, Xining, Guiyang, Lanzhou, Jiuzhaigou, etc., run by many airlines companies, such as Air China, China Southern Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, Tibet Airlines, etc. (Note: there is no any international flight to Mianyang yet.)
- 1) Beijing to Mianyang flights: 3 flights per day, 2h 50m duration;
- 2) Chengdu to Mianyang flights: 4+ flights per day, 1h 50m duration;
- 3) Shanghai to Mianyang flights: 1 flight per day, 1h 35m duration;
- 4) Xian to Mianyang flights: 3 flights per day, 1h 30m duration;
- 5) Lijiang to Mianyang flights: 3 flights per day, 1h 30m duration
- 6) Lhasa to Mianyang: 2 flights per day, 1h 50m duration;
- 7) Zhengzhou to Mianyang flights: 2 flights per day, 1h 50m duration;
Transfer to/off Mianyang Nanjiao Airport
Since there are only about 9km to go from downtown Mianyang to the airport, travelers can take the cheap public buses to catch flight. Currently, there are 6 buses running between the airport and downtown. From Mianyang Railway Station or Mianyang Bus Station, you can take Bus No. 79, No. 601, No. 302. It takes about 30minustes~1hour to get to the airport by public buses. You can also take a taxi to the airport which costs around 15~30 CNY only.
About Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (LXA - 拉萨贡嘎国际机场) is the largest and most important airport in Tibet Autonomous Region. In 2016, the airport has greeted more than 3 million passengers, most of whom are travelers, including thousands of foreigner travelers. The airport is about 62 kilometers (39 mi) southwest of the city in Gonggar County of Shannan Prefecture. The airport is one of the highest airports in the world with an elevation of 3,570 meters (11,710 ft). Airbus A340 and Boeing 757 aircrafts are allowed to land in the airport.
International Flights to Lhasa
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
Domestic Flights to Lhasa
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is well connected to many cities in China, including Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Kunming, Chongqing, Xining, Shangri-La, etc. Among all these cities, Chengdu is the most popular hub for taking flights/off Tibet. There are more than 20 flights flying between Chengdu and Lhasa each day. Xian also operates about 4~6 flights to Lhasa each day.
Transfer to/off Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is about 60km from Lhasa downtown. It costs about 100~200 CNY to the Barkhor Street area of Lhasa city. Airport shuttle bus is also available, and costs only about 25 CNY. It usually takes about 1~1.5 hours to transfer between the airport and Lhasa downtown.
Tibet Discovery also provides you convenient and comfortable airport pick-up and drop-off services which are usually included in our Tibet tour packages. If you take our group tours, you will enjoy our free airport pick-up and drop-off services which are offered at contain hours:
Free Airport Transfer to Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 10:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 09:30 AM;
- - Around 14:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 13:30 PM;
- - Around 17:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 16:30 PM.
Free Transfer to Airport from Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 07:00 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 09:00 ~ 11:30 AM;
- - Around 09:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 11:30 AM ~ 14:30 PM;
- - Around 12:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport after 14:30 PM.
- Learn more about Lhasa Gonggar International Airport.
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Take Flights to Tibet from other Cities in Sichuan Province
Apart from Mianyang, you can also take flights to Tibet from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport in Chengdu City and Kangding Airport near Kangding City.
Chengdu to Tibet Flights
Chengdu has been the most popular gateway hub for travelers to take flights to Lhasa. Its city airport Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport operates the largest number of flights to Lhasa each day, usually around 12~17 flights each day during April to October, which not only ensure a flexible choices of flights, but also a cheaper fare. It takes only about 2.5 hours to fly to Lhasa from Chengdu, which is much shorter comparing with Beijing (4.5hrs), Xian (3.5hrs), Shanghai (7hrs), and Guangzhou (6hrs). The city also operates several flights to other major prefectures in Tibet, including Nyingchi, Shigatse and Qamdo. Learn more about Chengdu Tibet Flights Details >>
Kangding to Lhasa Flights
It is less known that Kangding, the capital city of Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture in western Sichuan, has a daily flight and several connecting flights to Lhasa, the capital of Tibet. Due to its remote location, there has been only a few travelers have chosen Kangding to Lhasa flight. But as the connecting between Kham and Tibet becoming more and more frequent, there are more and more people know about the air line and take flight to Lhasa from Kangding directly. Currently there are 2~5 flights operating between Kangding and Lhasa every day - 2 direct flights plus several other connecting flights. The direct flight takes only about 2 hours to get to Lhasa from Kangding.Learn more about Kangding Lhasa Flights Details >>
Tibet Travel Permit and Flight Travel
A Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit) is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet. It is firstly needed to book flight from the airport or ticket agent. When you check in and check out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit also will be checked. (Note: if you take flight to Lhasa from Kathmandu, you only have to have the scanned copy of Tibet Travel Permit.) Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. The permit can only be issued in Tibet by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, and also can be only applied by travel agency behalf of travelers. It needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
How to Apply for Tibet Travel Permit
1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China(hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the original permit to you by post.
> Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
Useful Notes on Tibet Flight Travel
1. Necessary documents required to take a flight to/off Tibet
- Chinese visa is always needed no matter you are taking a flight or a train to Tibet. The office man in the airport will check your Chinese visa when your go to board the plane.
- The passport will be needed for many situations: booking flight ticket, checking in flight, checking in hotel, checking in the Border Station in Tibet, etc. Make sure your passport is valid and original.
- Original Tibet Travel Permit is required to board the plane.
2. How to book flight ticket?
The flight ticket can be booked at online websites, such as Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip, Qunar, etc. You can also buy the ticket from the airports in China or flight re-sellers. You are also welcomed to let us book your flight. We are always keeping up with the latest flight news and usually can book the ticket at a cheaper price. During summer and autumn, it usually gets difficult to book the flights to Lhasa. While using our booking service, we will not only book the ticket, but also arrange a valuable tour package.
3. When is the best time to fly to Tibet?
Generally speaking, months from April to October are recommended for traveling in Tibet. Other months are usually very cold, and possibly have heavy snow, especially in regions like Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Namtso Lake, etc. The flights schedules are also more frequent during April to October. During December to March, the airline companies will cut down the flight schedules, usually from daily weekly, even to none. But top cities like Chengdu and Xian still operate daily flights during the shoulder season. It is recommended to take the morning flight so that you can get to Lhasa before late afternoon, and have enough time to acclimatize yourself to the altitude and thin air in Lhasa. The morning flights also cut down the risk that your flights would be delayed or canceled.
4. Apart from Mianyang, where can I also take a flight to Tibet?
Apart from Mianyang, you can also fly to Tibet from Beijing, Chengdu, Xian, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xining, Chongqing, Kunming, Shanggri-la, etc.
5. International flights to Lhasa
So far, Kathmandu is the only international city which operates flights to Lhasa. It is only about 375 miles (1.5 hours)’s flying from Kathmandu to Lhasa. During months from May to October, there are usually one or two daily direct flights operated. In the low seasons, there might be less or no daily flights between Kathmandu and Lhasa. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Permit.
6. What else airport I can fly to except for Lhasa Gonggar International Airport?
Tibet has five airports in total. Besides Lhasa Gonggar Airport, you can also take a flight to Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Qamdo. But only Chengdu and Chongqing operate flights to these smaller cities.
- Shigatse - there is daily flight flying between Chengdu and Shigatse each day. The airport name is Shigatse Peace Airport, which is about 46km from Shigatse city.
- Nyingchi - Chengdu usually offers 4 morning flights to Nyingchi Milin Airport. While its neighboring city Chongqing also has 3 morning flights to Nyingchi each day. If you travel from Nyingchi to Lhasa, you are recommended to take a flight to Nyingchi firstly from Chengdu or Chongqing. It is also available to fly out Tibet directly from Nyingchi.
- Qamdo - Both Chongqing and Chengdu operate a daily flight to Qamdo in Tibet. But there are few travelers have chosen this line because Qamdo is not a popular tourist destination in Tibet.
- Ngari - Urumqi (capital of Xinjiang) offers a daily direct flight to Ngari with a stop at Kashgar on every Tuesday and Friday. Taking this flight, passengers need Military Permit and Border Pass as well as Tibet Travel Permit.
7. The regulation on the luggage allowance on the plane
|Luggage Type||First Class||Business Class||Economy Class||Allowed Baggage Size|
|Allowed Carry-on Baggage||5kg * 2 pieces||5kg||5kg||55cm/20cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
|Allowed Free Checked-in Baggage||40kg||30kg||20kg||100cm/60cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
8. Will my kids get a discounted flight ticket?
Kids aging 2 to 12 years old (including 12) will get a discount of 50% of the full price of the flight fare. If an adult take a flight to Lhasa from Chengdu with a child aging at 10 and the full price for the economy class is 1680 CNY, the ticket fare for the child is 840 CNY. The child also doesn’t have to pay for Airport Construction Fee while the adult has to. Infant under 2 years old only has to pay 10% of the full price, but the separate seat is not provided.
9. How do I collect (receive) the flight ticket?
Since most flight tickets are booked online, so firstly you will receive an e-ticket. You will change a paper ticket when you checking in your flight at a counter in the airport.