Tibet Travel Permit Required for Tibet Train Travel
According to China National Railway Administration’s regulation, foreign travelers need to have a Tibet Travel Permit to take a train to/off Tibet. The permit is firstly required when you or your agent book Tibet train tickets at the railway station or branch offices. It is also needed when you get on your train at the railway station.
▶ Get on Your Train: Usually, the valid copies of your Tibet Travel Permit are available to take a train to Tibet in many cities of China, if you board the train from cities such as Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Xining, and Guangzhou. When you arrive at Lhasa, your tour operator will bring you the original permit. However, if you take the train from Xian, Lanzhou and Chongqing, the original permit is required for getting on the train.
▶ Buy Train Tickets: For individual purchaser, booking a train ticket online may require your valid copy of your Tibet Travel Permit, and you must show your original or copied Tibet Travel Permit when purchasing train tickets at the railway station. To ease your ticket booking/purchase process, please do not hesitate to contact us and let us book a ticket for you!
▪ Important Notice: One Tibet Travel Permit contains 2 pages. Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. When you checking in at the railway station, the office man may take one of your Tibet Travel Permit copies away.
What is Tibet Travel Permit
Tibet Travel Permit, also known as Tibet Travel Permit is the official document that allows a foreign traveler to enter and travel in Tibet. Issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, the permit is given to certain qualified travel agents in China to operate a granted Tibet Tour for foreign visitors. Without a Tibet tour itinerary, the Permit will not be approved and released to your agent. With the permit, you can enter Tibet. It usually takes at least 15~20 working days to obtain the permit (submitting requests, confirming your itinerary, applying, waiting for approval). If you need to receive the original file, it takes at least 5 days for delivery. It can be checked multiple times, used in Tibet region for taking a flight/train to Tibet, hotel check-in, etc.
Who Has to Obtain Tibet Travel Permit
Except for Chinese Passport/ID card holders and Mainland Travel Permit Holders of Hong Kong & Macau Citizens, any other travelers shall travel Tibet with a Tibet Travel Permit.
- Foreign Passport Holders (such as US & UK citizens, Australians, Canadians, Malaysians, Indians, Nepalese, etc) require a Tibet Travel Permit.
- Taiwan Citizens, who do not have a Chinese ID card need a Tibet Travel Permit.
The first page of TTB Permit (Tibet Travel Permit)
The second page of TTB Permit (Tibet Travel Permit)
How to Obtain the Tibet Travel Permit
Here is a detailed procedure guide on obtaining a Tibet Travel Permit step by step.
▪ Step 1: Contact us to discuss your needs and work out a most suitable itinerary for you in Tibet.
▪ Step 2: Confirm and reserve your preferred Tibet Tour.
▪ Step 3: Send us the required valid documents (copies of your passport and Chinese Visa for general cases) at least 15 working days before your tour starts. If you need the permit quite urgently, please do not hesitate to contact us.
▪ Step 4: Provide your designated address (your hotel, travel agent, friend's home, etc.) in China's other regions to receive your permit after it is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB for short).
▪ Step 5: The permit will be delivered to your preferred address or handed to you at the airport/train station before your trip.
How to Plan A Tibet Tour
Tibet is a place with majestic landscapes and splendid culture. There might be hundreds of ways to travel Tibet, especially its most appealing destinations - Lhasa, Everest, Namtso, Kailash, etc. We suggest you start your tour from the capital Lhasa. You can take 3~4 days to acclimatize high altitudes and explore the highlights of Lhasa city. Then you can spend 1~2 days to visit Lhasa's surroundings, such as Namtso, Yamdrok Lake, Ganden Monastery, etc. Beside Lhasa and its surrounding regions, you shall not miss the 3rd pole of the earth, Mt Everest, which is no longer a privilege site for just mountaineers and spending 3~4 more days to explore it. Later, you can head back to Lhasa or continue your journey to the west to reach Ngari and kora around the holy Mount Kailash and Manasarovar. It totally depends on your schedules and preferences.
Top Recommended Tibet Tours by Train
Tibet Train Routes and Gateway Cities
More Information about Tibet Train
Recommended Tibet Train Tour Packages
Check out our most popular train tour packages departing from most popular gateway cities to Tibet - Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Xining, Shanghai, etc. All packages are customizable according to your requirements. If you have more time, you can extend your trip from Lhasa to other popular destinations, such as Shigatse, Mount Everest, Nyingchi, Ngari, etc. Check more >Tibet Train Tours
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: