Mount Everest - The highest peak of the world
Mount Everest, also named as Mount Quomolangma in Tibetan Language (means the Third Goddess in Tibetan), is the highest mountain in the world. With an elevation of 8,848 meters (29,029 feet), it is also renowned as the Third Pole of the World. Located at the border between China and Nepal, central region of Himalaya Range, the north ridge (in China) of Everest in Tibet has a gentle slope than the south ridge in Nepal, therefore the north ridge route is more chosen by mountaineers. The main body of Mount Everest shapes like a giant pyramid, along with a large glacier stretching more than 26km. It forms an amazing mountain waves, together with other peaks around. The summit capped with the layer of snow varied year to year, is the dreamland of mountaineering adventurer. Meanwhile, it also a lifetime destination for tourists to gaze out the iceberg from the Everest Base Camp (EBC).
Promotion Deal: 15 Days Tibet Everest Plus Mt. Kailash Pilgrimage Group Tour on 3 July, 2019 is on sale. It sells from only 1950$/pp. Book now to safe money and enjoy a worry-free Tibet adventure!
Mount Everest Facts
- Summer & Autumn
- Peak, Mountain
- 8,848 meters; EBC: 5,200 meters
- Border of China & Nepal
How to Get to Mt. Everest
Straddled the border of China and Nepal, Mount Everest can be visited from either side. Situated in the Tingri County of Shigatse City, the north side of the peak is worth visiting with more attractions along the way once you enter Tibet region.
The only transportation To Everest is driving. Due to the multiple winding road and rate-limiting regulation,it takes about 7 hours from Shigatse to meet the Mount Everest for a sight. On your driving journey, you will get a fantastic view of the endlessly-stretching snow-peaks if the weather permits. Rongbuk Monastery with an altitude of 5,100 meters is the world's highest monastery situated on the foothills. In order to protect the fragil environment, all private vehicles and tourist buses are not allowed to enter the ecological environmental zone of Mount Everest. They have to stop in the Parking Lot (about 20km away from Rongbuk Monastery) and travelers need to take the scenic environment-friendly park bus to Rongbuk Monastery. It takes about 30 minutes to get there.
Check more information about How to Get to and around Everest
Gorgeous Winding Road to Mount Everest
First Person to Mount Everest
Mt. Everest has been a holy climbing attraction for world’s mountaineers. There are two routes to the summit of Mount Everest, one is from the northern side (in Tibet) of Everest and the other is from the southern side (in Nepal). Mountaineers usually climb up the northern side of Everest from Tibet or up the southern side from Nepal. Since 1921 when the first expedition was launched by George Mallory and Guy Bullock, mankind had taken nearly 10 hard attempts to climb up the summit of Mount Everest but all failed until 1953, when the New Zealander Edmund Hillary and the Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay conquered the summit at 11:30 am local time on 29 May via the southern route. Since then, they are followed a lot of mountaineering enthusiasts.
First Person to Mount Everest
Mount Everest Highlights
Enjoy Fantastic Landscape
In some clear sunny day, the gathered clouds and fogs look like a huge flag flying above Mt. Everest while the peak resembles a mast. This breathtaking landscape is the famous Flag Could. Flag Cloud is a natural wonder only appearing on clear sunny days. It is said that the experienced mountaineers can indicate the wind direction, wind speed and wind force. Therefore, the Flag Cloud is praised as the Highest Wind Vane above the Sea Level. It is very luck for tourists to witness the beautiful Flag Cloud.
Sunrise and Sunset
Witnessing the sunrise or sunset of Mount Everest must be an unforgettable experience for everybody. When the first sunlight shines on the summit, Mount Everest begins to show its face gradually from the darkness, and the sky become yellow, orange and red. It is more than amazing to enjoy such a spectacular scene. Sunset is no less beautiful than sunrise. Mount Everest turns to be a giant bright pyramid when the last sunlight shines on the summit. Don’t forget to take your camera to record these precious moments.
Sunrise Time: about 6:00 - 7:00; Sunset Time: 17:30 - 18:30
No matter in daytime or at night, Mount Everest will never fail to give tourists a pleasant surprise. In clear weather, you must be shocked by such a shining pure sky if you can stand the really low temperature at night. The sky is embellished with countless twinkling stars which weave a dreamlike veil with diamonds. This splendid scenery will free all your anxiety and sorrow, and make you admire this magical nature. Sometimes, you are able to appreciate the shooting stars if you are a real luck dog.
As the biggest glacier in Everest, Rongpuk Glacier is located at the high altitude area between 5,300 to 6,300 meters, about 3-4 hours hiking from EBC. With a total length of 22.4 km, about 85.4 square kilometers, it is one of the magnificent landscapes. There are many best preserved glacial wonders, such as the ice pagodas, ice bridges, ice towers, ice cliff and more spectacles, which makes Rongpuk Glacier become the Largest Park on the High Mountain by those climbing pathfinders. Once getting to the splendor world, you may like walk in the heaven. Besides, Rongpuk River flowing along the Rongpuk Monastery comes from the melt water from the glacier.
Visit Attractions around Mount Everest
Everest Base Camp
Everest Base Camp is the highest place in Mount Everest that tourist could reach, also the starting point of mountaineers. For mountaineers who want to climb up higher, Everest Base Camp (EBC) is the most important base and the rest area to adjust the low oxygen environment and reduce the risk of altitude sickness for couple of days. Since there is no road for vehicle moving forward from the EBC, the expedition groups usually deliver their equipment and supply here by car or truck. Also as a tourist base camp, EBC is the ideal place to catch a glimpse of Everest in the near distance. With basic accommodation condition, tourists can stay overnight at EBC to enjoy the sunrise in the early morning.
Rongpuk Monastery (Rongbuk Monastery) is the highest monastery above the sea level in the world. With both monks and nuns lived and practiced there, Rongpuk Monastery is quite special. In the main hall worshiped a statue of Padmasambhava. There is a flock of yaks fed by the Buddhists in the monastery, and you can take the picture with them with their permission. About 8km away from EBC, Rongpuk Monastery is another perfect site to view Mount Everest. There is a guesthouse close to this monastery, where you can have a basic accommodation.
Flag Cloud above Mount Everest
Charming Sunnrise in Everest
Stunning Meteor Shower
Useful Travel Tips
Covered with electricity, the EBC is more like a tourist camp for more and more visitors stay overnight with to appreciate the majestic Everest. Whether you come for traveling or climbing, you should choose a best time and pay close attention to the local weather forecast before you go. For commonly tourists, here is some additional travel information for you.
● Travel Documents: Traveling to Mt. Everest or EBC in Tibet, you should prepare documents of Tibet Travel Permit, Alien Travel Permit and Boarder Permit, apart from Chinese Visa, issued by different departments. (Contact our travel consultant to know details if you are in need). For Mt. Everest Mountaineers, you need to get the Mountaineering License issued by Tibet Mountaineer Association.
● Best Time to Visit: The best time for traveling or climbing Mt. Everest is the periods between late April and early June, along with early September and late October, with relatively mild and steady weather with less rain or snow. If you want to climb, please keep a very close eye on the weather changes there.
● Essential Things to Pack: Due to the high elevation with UV radiation and harsh weather, some essentials you should take, including bottled oxygen, medicine for high altitude, down clothing, sun cream with high SPF, lip balm, sunglasses, gloves, etc. Besides, you'd better pack some food and water because the dinning on the Everest in very basic. Also bring some cash is needed since the stores don’t accept credit cards. For other heavy stuff, the less to bring, the better you can enjoy.
● Accommodation & Dining: Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse and Tent Guesthouses (both located near Rongbuk Monastery) offer the service with basic condition. You can take single bed and have staple food in Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse, or join the camp to stay overnight and finish a quick meal. The camp is only available from May to early October. The choice is made according to your itinerary.
● Postcard Mailing: There is the world highest post office near the Tent Guesthouses. You can pay for a special cancellation of the Mt. Everest on your postcards, and send them to your friends when you back to Lhasa. It will be awesome.
● Epitome of Everest Hiking: For climbing amateur, the 2 hours hiking route from Rongbuk Monastery to EBC is worth trying. When getting closer to the highest mountain step by step, you can feel your strong heartbeat.
Accommodation in the Tents of EBC
Highest Post Office in The World
Trekking Everest Base Camp
More Mount Everest Travel Guide
Recommended Tour Packages
Escorted by a skilled private drivers and companied by a professional local tour guide to organize all the activities, all you have to do is to enjoy your fantastic Tibet journey. Time can never be wasted waiting for a group, hopping on and off buses or negotiating unfamiliar destinations.
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: