Why take flight to Lhasa from Xiahe
1. Taking a flight is the only transportation means for tourists from Xiahe to Lhasa. If you plan to take a train instead, you have to travel to Lanzhou which is about 230km away.
2. There is one nonstop flight from Xiahe to Lhasa with a fly duration of only 2 hours and 20 minutes, much shorter than flights from any other cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Zhengzhou, Guangzhou etc.
3. Xiahe County is the home to famous Labrang Lamasery, one of the largest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries outside Tibet. You are able to feel the strong Tibetan Buddhist atmosphere before getting to Lhasa.
4. Xiahe is also populated largely by ethnic Tibetans as well as any Hui people and Han people. Here you can take a breath of China’s diverse culture.
Xiahe Lhasa Flight Schedules
There at two flights operated between Xian and Lhasa, which make a stopover at Xiahe Airport. In other words, these two daily nonstop flights connect Xiahe with Lhasa. At 09:50, 3U8599 takes off from Gannan Xiahe Airport and reaches Lhasa Gonggar Airport at 11:55. The whole fly trip takes 2 hours and 5 minutes. At 12：45, 3U8600 departs from Gannan Xiahe Airport, and lands on at Lhasa Gonggar Airport at 14:25 with duration of 2 hours.
Check following table for details about Xiahe Lhasa Flight Schedules and fares to decide which to choose.
Xiahe to Lhasa Flight
|Flight No.||Departure -- Arrival||Duration||Frequency||Plane||Ticket|
|2h 05m||SMTWTFS||Airbus A319||
Lhasa to Xiahe Flight
|Flight No.||Departure -- Arrival||Duration||Frequency||Plane||Ticket|
Important Notice: 1) Above flight schedules and fares are only for reference, please contact us to catch up on the latest information. But we usually will keep them updated; 2) The airlines companies usually will cut down the flight schedules during winter and spring seasons. There may be no daily flight in some months.
About Gannan Xiahe Airport
Gannan Xiahe Airport (IATA: GXH, 甘南夏河机场) is a new airport located in Amuquhu Town of Xiahe County, about 63km from the county. There is a 3,200 meter runway, a 3,000 square-meter terminal building and two plane-seats in the airport. The airplanes connecting Xiahe with other cities are mainly operated by Sichuan Airlines. As the first airport in the regions of Gannan which is inhabited by ethnic groups, Gannan Xiahe Airport makes the splendid scenery and fantastic landscape accessible to the travel-lovers.
International Flights to Xiahe
There is no available international flight to Xiahe at present. If you want to travel to Xiahe from your country, you can fly to Chengdu or Xian first and then transfer to Xiahe.
Domestic Flights to Xiahe
Ganan Xiahe Airport is a small airport without frequent flights. It can be reached directly from Xian, Lhasa, Chengdu and Yinchuan. There are daily Lhasa Xiahe Flights and Xian Lhasa Flights. Chengdu Xiahe Flights and Yinchuan Xiahe Flights are only operated on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Transfer to/off Gannan Xiahe Airport
Xiahe Airport is about 63km away from Xiahe County and about 62km (1 hour’s driving) from Labrang Lamasery. There is no shuttle bus running between Xiahe county and Xiahe Airport or Labrang Lamasery, and you have to call a taxi or rent a car to the airport. If you take a taxi to the Xihe County from the airport, you always need to share it with other passengers.
Gannan Xiahe Airport
About Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (IATA: LXA, Lhasa Airport for short) is the only airport in Lhasa. With an altitude of 3,570 meters, Lhasa Gonggar Airport is one of the highest in the world. It operates domestic flights to some major cities in China, like Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xining, Shanghai, Kunming, Shangri-La etc. and international flights to Kathmandu. Lhasa Gonggar Airport is located in the 62km southwest of Gongga County of Shannan and about 63km (about 1 hour’s driving). There is an airport expressway connecting Lhasa and Lhasa Gonggar Airport.
International Flights to Lhasa
At present, you can take international flights to Lhasa only from Kathmandu. In peak seasons, there is one daily Kathmandu Lhasa flight operated by Air China and one flight operated by Sichuan Airlines available some days (Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday). In off-peak seasons, the flights frequency will be reduced. The direct flights between Lhasa and Kathmandu take just 1.5 hours. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa and Tibet Travel Permit.
Domestic Flights to Lhasa
In addition to Xiahe, there are many other cities run flights to Lhasa Gonggar Airport, like Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Kunming, Xining, Zhengzhou, Shangri-La etc. Among all these cities, Beijing is a popular hub for taking flights/off Tibet because it can be easily reached from the major cities abroad. Chengdu Lhasa Flight is also recommended. There are more than 20 flights flying between Chengdu and Lhasa each day. Xian also operates about 4~6 flights to Lhasa each day.
Transfer to/off Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is about 60km from Lhasa downtown. It costs about 100~200 CNY to the Barkhor Street area of Lhasa city. Airport shuttle bus is also available, and costs only about 25 CNY. It usually takes about 1~1.5 hours to transfer between the airport and Lhasa downtown.
Tibet Discovery also provides you convenient and comfortable airport pick-up and drop-off services which are usually included in our Tibet tour packages. If you take our group tours, you will enjoy our free airport pick-up and drop-off services which are offered at contain hours:
Lhasa Gonggar Airport
Shuttle Buses Between Airport and Lhasa
Free Airport Transfer to Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 10:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 09:30 AM;
- - Around 14:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 13:30 PM;
- - Around 17:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 16:30 PM.
Free Transfer to Airport from Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 07:00 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 09:00 ~ 11:30 AM;
- - Around 09:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 11:30 AM ~ 14:30 PM;
- - Around 12:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport after 14:30 PM.
- Learn more about Lhasa Gonggar International Airport.
Tibet Travel Permit and Flight Travel
A Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit) is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet. It is firstly needed to book flight at the airport. When you check in and check out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit also will be checked. Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. The permit can only be issued in Tibet by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, and also can be only applied by travel agency behalf of travelers. It needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
How to Apply for Tibet Travel Permit
1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China(hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the scanning copy of permit by Email.
>> Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
Tibet Travel Permit
Useful Notes on Tibet Flight Travel
1. Necessary documents required to take a flight to/off Tibet
- Chinese visa is always needed no matter you are taking a flight or a train to Tibet. The office man in the airport will check your Chinese visa when your go to board the plane.
- The passport will be needed for many situations: booking flight ticket, checking in flight, checking in hotel, checking in the Border Station in Tibet, etc. Make sure your passport is valid and original.
- Original Tibet Travel Permit is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet, firstly needed for ticket booking . When checking in and checking out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit will be checked. Please duplicate at least 3 copies for other use.
2. How to book flight ticket?
The flight ticket can be booked at online websites, such as Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip, Qunar, etc. You can also buy the ticket from the airports in China or flight resellers. You are also welcomed to let us book your flight. We are always keeping up with the latest flight news and usually can book the ticket at a cheaper price. During summer and autumn, it is usually get difficult to book the flights to Lhasa. While using our booking service, we will not only book the ticket, but also arrange a valuable tour package.
3. When is the best time to fly to Tibet?
Generally speaking, months from April to October are recommended for traveling in Tibet. Other months are usually very cold, and possibly have heavy snow, especially in regions like Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Namtso Lake, etc. The flights schedules are also more frequent during April to October. During December to March, the airline companies will cut down the flight schedules, usually from daily weekly, even to none. But top cities like Chengdu and Beijing still operate daily flights during the shoulder season. It is recommended to take the morning flight so that you can get to Lhasa before late afternoon, and have enough time to acclimatize yourself to the altitude and thin air in Lhasa. The morning flights also cut down the risk that your flights would be delayed or canceled.
4. Apart from Xiahe, where can I also take a flight to Tibet?
Apart from Xiahe, you can also fly to Tibet from Beijing, Chengdu, Xian, Shanghai, Chongqing, Kunming, Xining, Shangri-La etc.
5. International flights to Tibet
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa and Tibet Travel Permit./p>
6. What else airport I can fly to except for Lhasa Gonggar International Airport?
Tibet has five airports in total. Besides Lhasa Gonggar Airport, you can also take a flight to Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Qamdo. But only certain cities in China operate flights to these smaller cities.
- Shigatse - there is daily flight flying between Chengdu and Shigatse each day. The airport name is Shigatse Peace Airport, which is about 46km from Shigatse city.
- Nyingchi - Chengdu usually offers 4 morning flights to Nyingchi Milin Airport. While its neighboring city Chongqing also has 3 morning flights to Nyingchi each day. If you travel from Nyingchi to Lhasa, you are recommended to take a flight to Nyingchi firstly from Chengdu or Chongqing. It is also available to fly out Tibet directly from Nyingchi.
- Qamdo – Both Chongqing and Chengdu operate a daily flight to Qamdo in Tibet. But there are few travelers have chosen this line because Qamdo is not a popular tourist destination in Tibet.
- Ngari - Urumqi (capital of Xinjiang) offers a daily direct flight to Ngari with a stop at Kashgar on every Tuesday and Friday. Taking this flight, passengers need Military Permit and Border Pass as well as Tibet Travel Permit.
7. The regulation on the luggage allowance on the plane
|Luggage type||First Class||Business Class||Economy Class||Allowed Baggage Size|
|Allowed Carry-on Baggage||5kg * 2 pieces||5kg||5kg||55cm/20cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
|Allowed Checked-in Baggage||40kg||30kg||20kg||100cm/60cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
8. Will my kids get a discounted flight ticket?
Kids aging 2 to 12 years old (including 12) will get a discount of 50% of the full price of the flight fare. If an adult take a flight to Lhasa from Xiahe with a child aging at 10 and the full price for the economy class is 1740 CNY, the ticket fare for the child is 870 CNY. The child also doesn’t have to pay for Airport Construction Fee while the adult has to. Infant under 2 years old only has to pay 10% of the full price, but the separate seat is not provided.
9. How do I collect (receive) the flight ticket?
Since most flight tickets are booked online, so firstly you will receive an e-ticket. You will change a paper ticket when you check in your flight at a counter in the airport.