Why Take Flight to Lhasa from Qamdo
1. For inner Tibet tour, Tibet Airlines provide a daily direct flight from Lhasa to Qamdo and opposite travel route. Therefore, one can choose to explore more Tibetan destinations except Lhasa and its surrounding areas.
2. It takes about 3 days riding to Qamdo from Lhasa with long distance of more than 1,300 km by coach. Although the bus ticket price is around 280 CNY, much cheaper than Lhasa Qamdo Flight, some tourists may think it’s too tedious and painful spending several days on the way.
3. Qamdo is located in east Tibet and close to Qinghai, Sichuan and Yunnan Province. There are many distinctive scenic spots, e.g. the first Tibetan Buddhism Gelug monastery - Galden Jampaling Monastery, beautiful Ranwu Lake, the ancestral temple of Kagyu Buddhism.
4. Lhasa is well connected with main domestic destinations, like Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xian, etc; also Qamdo has flights to Chengdu, Chongqing, Tianjin and Fuyang. The link of Lhasa and Qamdo offers more flights options to other cities in China. Further going to Kathmandu Nepal from Lhasa is attainable too.
Pure Ranwu Lake
Lhasa Qamdo Flights Schedules
Generally, there are 8-10 Lhasa to Qamdo flights every day. Most are connecting flights of 2 airline companies. If you take the connecting flights, you will transfer flights in Chengdu / Chongqing where have more available flights and anyway you will arrive in Lhasa the next morning.
Tibet Airlines offers the only 1 nonstop flight for you. You will just spend 1h 15mins to Qamdo from Lhasa which means you will spned less time on the road, more time on acclimation to high altitude sickness and wonderful sightseeing.
Lhasa to Qamdo Flight Timetable
Flight TV9849 of Tibet Airlines departs from Lhasa at 07:30 am and arrives in Qamdo 1h 15mins later. It is the exclusive nonstop Lhasa Qamdo flight. The other connecting flights have to change planes in major hub airports in Chengdu or Chongqing.
|Flight No.||Departure -- Arrival||Duration||Frequency||Plane||Ticket|
Lhasa Gonggar Airport
Qamdo Bangda Airport
|1h 15m||SMTWTFS||Airbus A319||
Qamdo to Lhasa Flight Timetable
If you want to go to Lhasa from Qamdo by plane, you can take the daily direct flight TV9850 in 09:35am. It takes about 1.5 hrs flying. Have a short rest on the plane, later you can have lunch and start your holy city tour in Lhasa.
|Flight No.||Departure -- Arrival||Duration||Frequency||Plane||Ticket|
Qamdo Bangda Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport
|1h 25m||SMTWTFS||Airbus A319||
Important Notice: 1) Above flight schedules and fares are only for reference, please contact us to catch up on the latest information. But we usually will keep them updated; 2) The airlines companies usually will cut down the flight schedules during winter and spring seasons. There may be no daily flight in some months.
About Qamdo Bangda Airport
Qamdo Bangda Airport (BPX - 昌都邦达机场) was called the world’s farthest airport to downtown with the worst climate and the longest runway, it is also the second highest airport in the world. At an elevation of 4,334m (14,219 ft), Qamdo Airport has very low temperature of 20 degrees below zero in winter and spring. The oxygen there is just 50 % on sea level. Due to the high altitude and complicated geographic conditions, it’s quite difficult to flying in Qamdo Airport.
Located in east Tibet, the airport is over 1,300 km to Lhasa and Chengdu. Road transportation to the nearest Qamdo town takes about 3hrs in distance of 126 km. You can take the airport shuttle bus or a taxi to the airport.
Because Qamdo is a less popular tourist destination in Tibet, just a few routes are operating currently. You can fly to Qamdo from Lhasa, Chengdu, Chongqing, Tianjian and Anhui Fuyang. Note that flights between Qamdo and the above cities are not frequent and often.
Flights to Qamdo from Other Cities in China
Qamdo is in the east area of Tibet, less known to the world. The close location to Sichuan, Yunnan and Qinghai Province makes it more familiar to southwest cities: Chengdu, Chongqing, etc. Being the birth place of Kang - Pa Culture, Qamdo only has direct routes to the following cities:
Chengdu - Qamdo: 1 direct flight of Air China every day
Chongqing - Qamdo: 1 direct flight of Tibet Airlines per day
Tianjin - Qamdo: 1 nonstop flight of Tibet Airlines every day
Anhui Fuyang (安徽阜阳) - Qamdo: 1 nonstop flight of China Express Airlines on every Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun
Transfer to/off Qamdo Bangda Airport
The Qamdo Bangda Airport is 136km to the nearest Qamdo Town. Tourists need to take a 3h ride by taxi, costing about 250 - 300 CNY. Also you can take the airport shuttle bus, costing around 60 CNY. Coaches between Lhasa and Qamdo, Chengdu and Qamdo are irregular costing around 3 - 6 days in total. And scenic spots in Qamdo are far from each other.
Qamdo Bangda Airport
About Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (LXA - 拉萨贡嘎国际机场) is the largest and most important airport in Tibet Autonomous Region. In 2016, the airport has greeted more than 3 million passengers, most of whom are travelers, including thousands of foreigner travelers. The airport is about 62 kilometers (39 mi) southwest of the city in Gonggar County of Shannan, and . The airport is one of the highest airports in the world with an elevation of 3,570 meters (11,710 ft). Airbus A340 and Boeing 757 aircrafts are allowed to park in the airport.
International Flights to Lhasa
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
Domestic Flights to Lhasa
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is well connected to many cities in China, including Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Kunming, Chongqing, Xining, Shangri-La, etc. Among all these cities, Chengdu is the most popular hub for taking flights/off Tibet. There are more than 20 flights flying between Chengdu and Lhasa each day. Xian also operates about 4~6 flights to Lhasa each day.
Transfer to/off Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is about 60km from Lhasa downtown. It costs about 100~200 CNY to the Barkhor Street area of Lhasa city. Airport shuttle bus is also available, and costs only about 25 CNY. It usually takes about 1~1.5 hours to transfer between the airport and Lhasa downtown.
Tibet Discovery also provides you convenient and comfortable airport pick-up and drop-off services which are usually included in our Tibet tour packages. If you take our group tours, you will enjoy our free airport pick-up and drop-off services which are offered at contain hours:
Free Airport Transfer to Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 10:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 09:30 AM;
- - Around 14:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 13:30 PM;
- - Around 17:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 16:30 PM.
Free Transfer to Airport from Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 07:00 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 09:00 ~ 11:30 AM;
- - Around 09:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 11:30 AM ~ 14:30 PM;
- - Around 12:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport after 14:30 PM.
- Learn more about Lhasa Gonggar International Airport.
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Flights from Qamdo to Other Prefectures in Tibet
Currently, there is no direct flight between Qamdo and Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Shannan prefectures. Since Lhasa is the most important pivot airport in Tibet, you can fly to Lhasa firstly, and then take a direct flight from Lhasa to other destinations in Tibet if you want to tour more destinations.
Flights to Lhasa from Other Prefectures in Tibet
Nyingchi Mainling Airport (LZY - 林芝米林机场) is the lowest airport in Tibet with elevation of 2,949m. Located in southeast Tibet, the airport is 50km to the Bayi Town of Nyingchi. You can take the airport bus whose shift is not so much, costing more than 1h on the road and 25CNY, while the taxi to Bayi Town will drive for 40 mins.
Tibet Airlines has 1 nonstop flight between Nyingchi and Lhasa every day. The Lhasa - Nyingchi flight takes less than 1hour. You can have a lower altitude tour in Nyingchi and travel to Lhasa after more adaption.
Ngari Gunsa Airport (NGQ - 阿里昆莎机场) is known as the ridge of “the roof of the world” at altitude of 4,274m above sea level. The airport ranks the 4th highest airport in the world. Ngari is the origin of Ancient Zhang Zhung Civilization Culture, having Guge Kingdom Relic and beautiful Lake Manasarovar, Holy Mount Kailash and many types of scenery.
The Gunsa Airport is about 40km to the Shiquanhe Town, you can take a taxi or airport bus after walking out the waiting hall. If you are planning a schedule to Ngari from Lhasa, you can take the 1h only flight without any stop.
Except Qamdo, also you can fly to Lhasa from Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing,Xian, Xining, Shangri-La,etc. More frequent and direct flights are provided in the key hub airports.
Nyingchi Mainling Airport
Ngari Gunsa Airport
Tibet Travel Permit and Flight Travel
A Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit) is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet. It is firstly needed to book flight at the airport. When you check in and check out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit also will be checked. Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. The permit can only be issued in Tibet by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, and also can be only applied by travel agency behalf of travelers. It needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
How to Apply for Tibet Travel Permit
1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China(hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the original permit to you by post.
> Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
Tibet Travel Permit
Useful Notes on Tibet Flight Travel
1. Necessary documents required to take a flight to/off Tibet
- Chinese visa is always needed no matter you are taking a flight or a train to Tibet. The office man in the airport will check your Chinese visa when your go to board the plane.
- The passport will be needed for many situations: booking flight ticket, checking in flight, checking in hotel, checking in the Border Station in Tibet, etc. Make sure your passport is valid and original.
- Original Tibet Travel Permit is required to board the plane.
2. How to book flight ticket?
The flight ticket can be booked at online websites, such as Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip, Qunar, etc. You can also buy the ticket from the airports in China or flight resellers. You are also welcomed to let us book your flight. We are always keeping up with the latest flight news and usually can book the ticket at a cheaper price. During summer and autumn, it is usually difficult to book the flights to Lhasa. While using our booking service, we will not only book the ticket, but also arrange a valuable tour package.
3. When is the best time to fly to Tibet?
Generally speaking, months from April to October are recommended for traveling in Tibet. Other months are usually very cold, and possibly have heavy snow, especially in regions like Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Namtso Lake, etc. The flights schedules are also more frequent during April to October. During December to March, the airline companies will cut down the flight schedules, usually from daily weekly, even to none. But top cities like Chengdu and Xian still operate daily flights during the shoulder season. It is recommended to take the morning flight so that you can get to Lhasa before late afternoon, and have enough time to acclimatize yourself to the altitude and thin air in Lhasa. The morning flights also cut down the risk that your flights would be delayed or canceled.
4. Apart from Qamdo, where can I also take a flight to Lhasa in Tibet?
Apart from Qmado, you can also fly to Lhasa from Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xian, Xining, Shangri-La, etc.
5. International flights to Lhasa
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu - Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
6. What else airports I can fly to except for Lhasa Gonggar International Airport?
Tibet has five airports in total. Besides Lhasa Gonggar Airport, you can also take a flight to Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Qamdo. But only certain cities in China operate flights to these smaller cities.
- Shigatse - there is daily flight flying between Chengdu and Shigatse each day. The airport name is Shigatse Peace Airport, which is about 46km from Shigatse city.
- Nyingchi - Chengdu usually offers 4 morning flights to Nyingchi Mainling Airport. While its neighboring city Chongqing also has 3 morning flights to Nyingchi each day. If you travel from Nyingchi to Lhasa, you are recommended to take a flight to Nyingchi firstly from Chengdu or Chongqing. It is also available to fly out Tibet directly from Nyingchi.
- Qamdo - Both Chongqing and Chengdu operate a daily flight to Qamdo in Tibet. But there are few travelers have chosen this line because Qamdo is not a popular tourist destination in Tibet.
- Ngari - Urumqi (capital of Xinjiang) offers a daily direct flight to Ngari with a stop at Kashgar on every Tuesday and Friday. Taking this flight, passengers need Military Permit and Border Pass as well as Tibet Travel Permit.
7. The regulation on the luggage allowance on the plane
|Luggage Type||First Class||Business Class||Economy Class||Allowed Baggage Size|
|Allowed Carry-on Baggage||5kg * 2 pieces||5kg||5kg||55cm/20cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
|Allowed Checked-in Baggage||40kg||30kg||20kg||100cm/60cm/40cm(L/B/H)|
8. Will my kids get a discounted flight ticket?
Kids aging 2 to 12 years old (including 12) will get a discount of 50% of the full price of the flight fare. If an adult take a flight to Lhasa from Beijing with a child aging at 10 and the full price for the economy class is 3260 CNY, the ticket fare for the child is 1630 CNY. The child also doesn’t have to pay for Airport Construction Fee while the adult has to. Infant under 2 years old only has to pay 10% of the full price, but the separate seat is not provided.
9. How do I collect (receive) the flight ticket?
Since most flight tickets are booked online, so firstly you will receive an e-ticket. You will change a paper ticket when you checking in your flight at a counter in the airport.