Why Take Flight to Lhasa from Guangzhou
1. Guangzhou is one of the most foreigner-friendly cities in China because it has been an important harbor for international trade for centuries. Traveling, shopping, eating… everything is so easy in Guangzhou.
2. Guangzhou is the most important international arrival hub in southeastern China. Taking a flight to Guangzhou from around the world is very convenient. Within 6 hours, you can get to Guangzhou from any major city in Asia. Guangzhou is also connected to North America, Europe, South America, Africa and Oceania with frequent flights.
3. There is a daily flight to Lhasa in the morning each day from Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport. It is the perfect time because you will get to Tibet at around 2pm so that you have enough time to acclimatize yourself to the high altitudes in Lhasa.
4. It is also very convenient to go to Guangzhou from the rest of China by high speed train, flight and ships.
Beautiful Guangzhou Night View
Guangzhou Lhasa Flights Schedules, Airlines and Fares
Currently Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport operates daily connecting/stopover flights to Lhasa. But only a flight is direct flights. You can transfer at Chongqing, Kunming, Xian, etc. Please note that the flight schedules will be cut down during winter and spring seasons.
Guangzhou to Lhasa Flights Timetable
Every day, the China Southern Airlines run its daily flight to Lhasa which departs from Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport at around 08:10am, and gets to Lhasa Gonggar Airport at around 2:05pm. There are also several other connecting flights to Lhasa from Guangzhou. Check out following latest updated Guangzhou to Lhasa flights schedules:
Important Notice: 1) Above flight schedules and fares are only for reference, please contact us to catch up on the latest information. But we usually will keep them updated; 2) The airlines companies usually will cut down the flight schedules during winter and spring seasons. There may be no daily flight in some months.
Where to Take Flight to Tibet – Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (ICAO：ZGGG；IATA：CAN) is one the three international hubs in China as well as one of the busiest airports in the world. As of January 2020, the airport has operated air lines to more than 200 destinations in the world, including more than 90 international cities. The airport serves as a hub for China Southern Airlines, FedEx Express, 9 Air, Hainan Airlines and Shenzhen Airlines, etc.
Magnificent Geographical Advantage
Guangzhou, the city where the Baiyun International Airport located in, has become the most important international trade harbor and transportation hub in southern China due to its magnificent geographical advantage - close to Southeast Asia, and connected to Europe and America by air, land and sea. Departing from Guangzhou, one needs only 6 hours to reach most of the important cities in over 20 counties in Asia, such as Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Delhi, etc. Domestically, Guangzhou in a very important hub which is connected to the prosperous Pearl Delta and Yangtze River Delta regions. What’s more, Guangzhou is the gateway to China for those planning to enter China from Hong Kong. It needs only about 1 hour to get to Guangzhou from Hong Kong.
International Flights to Guangzhou
So far travelers can take flights to Guangzhou directly from following destinations:
- 1) Europe: Paris, Frankfurt, Rome, London, Amsterdam, Moscow, Helsinki, Istanbul;
- 2) America: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Symbian, Vancouver;
- 3) Asia: Seoul, Busan, Jeju-do, Osaka, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Nagoya, Dubai, Baku, Doha, Jeddah, Riyadh, Baghdad, Tehran, Amman, Lahore, Male, Dhaka, Kathmandu, Colombo, Delhi;
- 4) Oceania: Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Christchurch New Zealand;
- 5) Africa: Cairo, Addis Ababa, Nairobi, Mauritius;
- 6) Other regions: Hong Kong, Taipei, Macau.
Domestic Flights to Guangzhou
As the flight hug of southern China, Guangzhou is connected with the most majority of China cities by flight. Check following details:
- 1) Northeastern China: Paris, Frankfurt, Rome, London, Amsterdam, Moscow, Helsinki, Istanbul;
- 2) Northern China: Beijing, Shijiazhuang, Hohhot, Erdos, Datong, Taiyuan, Tianjin, Hefei, Huangshan;
- 3) Eastern China: Fuzhou, Xiamen, Nanjing, Wuxi, Jinan, Qingdao, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Ningbo;
- 4) Northwestern China: Dunhuang, Jiayuguan, Lanzhou, Yinchuan, Xining, Urumqi, Kashigar;
- 5) Southwestern China: Chengdu, Jiuzhaigou, Mianyang, Lhasa, Nyingchi, Dali, Lijiang, Kunming, Shangri-La, Chongqing;
- 6) Middle & Southern China: Guilin, Nanning, Haikou, Sanya, Luoyang, Zhengzhou, Wuhan, Yichang, Zhangjiajie, Changsha;
Top Air Lines to Guangzhou
- 1) Beijing to Guangzhou flights: 30+ flights per day, 3h 20m duration;
- 2) Shanghai to Guangzhou flights: 39+ flights per day, 2h 25m duration;
- 3) Xian to Guangzhou flights: 19+ flights per day, 2h 45m duration;
- 4) Chongqing to Guangzhou flights: 28+ flights per day, 2h 5m duration;
- 5) Kunming to Guangzhou flights: 28+ flights per day, 2h 5m duration;
- 6) Chengdu to Guangzhou flights: 24+ flights per day, 2h 25m duration;
- 7) Zhengzhou to Guangzhou flights: 8+ flights per day, 2h 15m duration.
Transfer to/off Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
There are frequent shuttle buses and speed subway connecting Guangzhou Baiyun Airport to the downtown areas. The shuttle bus routes are flexible (about 10 routes), and allow you to transfer to Guangzhou Railway Station and other areas in downtown Guangzhou within two hours. The Subway Line 3 connect Guangzhou directly with the city center - Tianhe District. Taxis are also available, and cost around 100~200 to transfer to different areas in the city.
Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
Plane of China Eastern Airline
Flight to Japan from Guangzhou
How to Get to Guangzhou from Hong Kong
It is very convenient to go to Guangzhou from Hong Kong. You can choose your favorite transfer way between train, ferry and bus:
There are 12 pairs of trains running between Hong Kong Hung Hom Railway Station and Guangzhou East Railway Station each day. It costs only about 2 hours for the train transfer. You are suggested to get to the railway station about 1 hour before your departure so that you will have enough time to settle the exit procedures.
Thera are about 8~10 daily ferries to Guangzhou from Hong Kong every day. You can directly take a ferry at the Sky Pier near to Hong Kong International Airport. You can also go to China Hong Kong Harbour Ferry (香港尖沙咀中港城客运码头) to take the ferry. The destination port in Guangzhou is Lianhuashan Port(莲花山码头). It costs around 200 to 400 HKD for the ferry transfer.
The China Travel Service (CTS) runs many express buses to Guangzhou from Hong Kong around 6am to 8pm. The ride takes about 3.5 hours assuming no major delays. It can be convenient as it picks up and drops off at various hotels and points of interest in both cities. The bus ticket is around 100 HKD. You can take the buses at Hong Kong International Airport, Mong Kok, Jordan, Disneyland Resort, Ocean Park, etc.
Hong Kong to Guangzhou Train
Hong Kong to Guangzhou Ferry
About Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (LXA - 拉萨贡嘎国际机场) is the largest and most important airport in Tibet Autonomous Region. In 2016, the airport has greeted more than 3 million passengers, most of whom are travelers, including thousands of foreigner travelers. The airport is about 62 kilometers (39 mi) southwest of the city in Gonggar County of Shannan Prefecture. The airport is one of the highest airports in the world with an elevation of 3,570 meters (11,710 ft). Airbus A340 and Boeing 757 aircrafts are allowed to land in the airport.
International Flights to Lhasa
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
Domestic Flights to Lhasa
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is well connected to many cities in China, including Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Kunming, Chongqing, Xining, Shangri-La, etc. Among all these cities, Chengdu is the most popular hub for taking flights/off Tibet. There are more than 20 flights flying between Chengdu and Lhasa each day. Xian also operates about 4~6 flights to Lhasa each day.
Transfer to/off Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is about 60km from Lhasa downtown. It costs about 100~200 CNY to the Barkhor Street area of Lhasa city. Airport shuttle bus is also available, and costs only about 25 CNY. It usually takes about 1~1.5 hours to transfer between the airport and Lhasa downtown.
Tibet Discovery also provides you convenient and comfortable airport pick-up and drop-off services which are usually included in our Tibet tour packages. If you take our group tours, you will enjoy our free airport pick-up and drop-off services which are offered at contain hours:
Free Airport Transfer to Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 10:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 09:30 AM;
- - Around 14:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 13:30 PM;
- - Around 17:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 16:30 PM.
Free Transfer to Airport from Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 07:00 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 09:00 ~ 11:30 AM;
- - Around 09:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 11:30 AM ~ 14:30 PM;
- - Around 12:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport after 14:30 PM.
- Learn more about Lhasa Gonggar International Airport.
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Tibet Travel Permit and Flight Travel
A Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit) is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet. It is firstly needed to book flight from the airport or ticket agent. When you check in and check out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit also will be checked. (Note: if you take flight to Lhasa from Kathmandu, you only have to have the scanned copy of Tibet Travel Permit.) Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. The permit can only be issued in Tibet by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, and also can be only applied by travel agency behalf of travelers. It needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
How to Apply for Tibet Travel Permit
1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China(hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the original permit to you by post.
> Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
Tibet Travel Permit
Useful Notes on Tibet Flight Travel
1. Necessary documents required to take a flight to/off Tibet
- Chinese visa is always needed no matter you are taking a flight or a train to Tibet. The office man in the airport will check your Chinese visa when your go to board the plane.
- The passport will be needed for many situations: booking flight ticket, checking in flight, checking in hotel, checking in the Border Station in Tibet, etc. Make sure your passport is valid and original.
- Original Tibet Travel Permit is required to board the plane.
2. How to book flight ticket?
The flight ticket can be booked at online websites, such as Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip, Qunar, etc. You can also buy the ticket from the airports in China or flight re-sellers. You are also welcomed to let us book your flight. We are always keeping up with the latest flight news and usually can book the ticket at a cheaper price. During summer and autumn, it usually gets difficult to book the flights to Lhasa. While using our booking service, we will not only book the ticket, but also arrange a valuable tour package.
3. When is the best time to fly to Tibet?
Generally speaking, months from April to October are recommended for traveling in Tibet. Other months are usually very cold, and possibly have heavy snow, especially in regions like Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Namtso Lake, etc. The flights schedules are also more frequent during April to October. During December to March, the airline companies will cut down the flight schedules, usually from daily weekly, even to none. But top cities like Chengdu and Xian still operate daily flights during the shoulder season. It is recommended to take the morning flight so that you can get to Lhasa before late afternoon, and have enough time to acclimatize yourself to the altitude and thin air in Lhasa. The morning flights also cut down the risk that your flights would be delayed or canceled.
4. Apart from Guangzhou, where can I also take a flight to Tibet?
Apart from Guangzhou, you can also fly to Tibet from Beijing, Chengdu, Xian, Shanghai, Chongqing, Kunming, Shangri-la, etc.
5. International flights to Lhasa
So far, Kathmandu is the only international city which operates flights to Lhasa. It is only about 375 miles (1.5 hours)’s flying from Kathmandu to Lhasa. During months from May to October, there are usually one or two daily direct flights operated. In the low seasons, there might be less or no daily flights between Kathmandu and Lhasa. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Permit.
6. What else airport I can fly to except for Lhasa Gonggar International Airport?
Tibet has five airports in total. Besides Lhasa Gonggar Airport, you can also take a flight to Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Qamdo. But only Chengdu and Chongqing operate flights to these smaller cities.
- Shigatse - there is daily flight flying between Chengdu and Shigatse each day. The airport name is Shigatse Peace Airport, which is about 46km from Shigatse city.
- Nyingchi - Chengdu usually offers 4 morning flights to Nyingchi Mainling Airport. While its neighboring city Chongqing also has 3 morning flights to Nyingchi each day. If you travel from Nyingchi to Lhasa, you are recommended to take a flight to Nyingchi firstly from Chengdu or Chongqing. It is also available to fly out Tibet directly from Nyingchi.
- Qamdo - Both Chongqing and Chengdu operate a daily flight to Qamdo in Tibet. But there are few travelers have chosen this line because Qamdo is not a popular tourist destination in Tibet.
- Ngari - Urumqi (capital of Xinjiang) offers a daily direct flight to Ngari with a stop at Kashgar on every Tuesday and Friday. Taking this flight, passengers need Military Permit and Border Pass as well as Tibet Travel Permit.
7. The regulation on the luggage allowance on the plane
|Allowed Baggage Size
|Allowed Carry-on Baggage
|5kg * 2 pieces
|Allowed Free Checked-in Baggage
8. Will my kids get a discounted flight ticket?
Kids aging 2 to 12 years old (including 12) will get a discount of 50% of the full price of the flight fare. If an adult take a flight to Lhasa from Chengdu with a child aging at 10 and the full price for the economy class is 1680 CNY, the ticket fare for the child is 840 CNY. The child also doesn’t have to pay for Airport Construction Fee while the adult has to. Infant under 2 years old only has to pay 10% of the full price, but the separate seat is not provided.
9. How do I collect (receive) the flight ticket?
Since most flight tickets are booked online, so firstly you will receive an e-ticket. You will change a paper ticket when you checking in your flight at a counter in the airport.