Why Take Flight to Lhasa from Beijing
1. Beijing is the capital city with developed transportation and well-linked with many foreign cities by international flights. Therefore, many tourists can travel to Beijing directly from their countries and then fly to Lhasa without complicated transfer.
2. Beijing can be easily reached from most major cities in China as well by frequent domestic flights and high speed trains. After your tour in other cities (like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Chengdu, Xian and others), it is very convenient to travel to Beijing.
3. There are two daily nonstop flights and one direct flight operated by Air China and Tibet Airlines which are two of the most experienced airlines operating highland airlines.
4. Beijing itself is a popular tourist destination with long history and rich culture. Must-see attractions in Beijing include Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven and Great Walls. A tour combining Beijing and Tibet will be quite valuable and memorable.
Temple of Heaven was used to pray for a year of rich harvest
Beijing Lhasa Flights Schedules
There are three daily flights taking off from Beijing Capital International Airport to Lhasa Gonggar Airport, including two nonstop flights and one flight with a stopover at Chengdu. One nonstop Beijing to Lhasa Flight and the flight with stopover are operated by Air China while another nonstop Beijing to Lhasa flight is operated by Tibet Airlines. The nonstop flights will take you from Beijing to Lhasa within 4.5 hours. It is suggested that you take a morning flight (CA4125) to Lhasa because you can have a half day to acclimatize yourself to the high altitude environment.
Check following table for details about Beijing Lhasa Flight Schedules and fares to decide which to choose.
Important Notice: 1) Above flight schedules and fares are only for reference, please contact us to catch up on the latest information. But we usually will keep them updated; 2) The airlines companies usually will cut down the flight schedules during winter and spring seasons. There may be no daily flight in some months.
Our top Beijing Lhasa tours by flights:
About Beijing Capital International Airport
Regarded as the first gateway to China, Beijing Capital International Airport (IATA: PEK, 北京首都机场) is an international air harbor with greatest importance, largest scale and most advanced facilities among China’s airports. It is also the first and unique airport with three terminals, three runways, two operating control towers in Asian-Pacific region so far. Since Beijing Capital International Airport was built in 1958, it has owned many international and domestic prizes and titles, such as Asian Annies Awards, Service Quality Assured, ASQA Certificate, SKYTRAX Best Airport in China, Most influential Airport in China etc.
Nowadays, Beijing Capital International Airport becomes one of busiest airports in the world and there are about 1,700 daily flights operated by 94 airlines connecting this airport with 244 cities of 54 countries.
International Flights to Beijing
So far travelers can take nonstop flights to Beijing from following destinations:
1) Europe (Amsterdam, London, Manchester, Madrid, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich, Moscow, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk, Vladivostok, Paris)
2) Australia (Melbourne, Sydney)
3) North America (Washington, New York, Boston, Chicago, San-Francisco, San Jose, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto)
4) Africa (Mauritius, Cairo)
5) Middle East (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha)
6) East Asia (Seoul, Busan, Cheongju, Tokyo, Osaka, Okinawa, Nagoya, Sapporo, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Nha Trang, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Saipan, Yangon, Siem Reap, Manila)
7) Southeast Asia (Kathmandu, Colombo, Bali)
8) Other regions (Hong Kong, Macau, Taipei, Kaohsiung) can reach Beijing directly by flight.
Domestic Flights to Beijing
Besides enough international flights, Beijing Capital international Airport also run frequent domestic flights to popular tourist cities in China, such as Shanghai, Xian, Chengdu, Guilin etc.
Eastern China - Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Nanjing, Huangshan etc.;
Northern China - Beijing, Xian, Taiyuan, Zhengzhou, Luoyang, Hohhot, Lanzhou, Dunhuang, Xining, etc.;
Southern China - Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Guilin, Sanya, Kunming, Guiyang, Yichang, etc.;
Western China - Chengdu, Lhasa, Kunming Dali, Lijiang, Shangrila, Urumqi, etc..
Transfer to/in Beijing Capital International Airport
Located in the Shunyi District and about 30 km northeast of Beijing City center, Beijing Capital Airport can be reached easily through Airport Expressway. It is also available to take the Beijing Subway Airport Express to the airport and there is a stop in the two-story underground basement of T3 (the Third Terminal). There are three terminals in Capital Airport, and all Beijing Lhasa Flights take off/land on T3 of Beijing Capital Airport. There is also free shuttle bus running among the three terminals of Beijing Capital International Airport.
Beijing Capital Airport
T3 of Beijing Capital Airport
Metro to Beijing Capital Airport
About Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (LXA - 拉萨贡嘎国际机场) is the largest and most important airport in Tibet Autonomous Region. In 2016, the airport has greeted more than 3 million passengers, most of whom are travelers, including thousands of foreigner travelers. The airport is about 62 kilometers (39 mi) southwest of the city in Gonggar County of Shannan, and . The airport is one of the highest airports in the world with an elevation of 3,570 meters (11,710 ft). Airbus A340 and Boeing 757 aircrafts are allowed to park in the airport.
International Flights to Lhasa
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
Domestic Flights to Lhasa
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is well connected to many cities in China, including Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Kunming, Chongqing, Xining, Shangri-La, etc. Among all these cities, Chengdu is the most popular hub for taking flights/off Tibet. There are more than 20 flights flying between Chengdu and Lhasa each day. Xian also operates about 4~6 flights to Lhasa each day.
Transfer to/off Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is about 60km from Lhasa downtown. It costs about 100~200 CNY to the Barkhor Street area of Lhasa city. Airport shuttle bus is also available, and costs only about 25 CNY. It usually takes about 1~1.5 hours to transfer between the airport and Lhasa downtown.
Tibet Discovery also provides you convenient and comfortable airport pick-up and drop-off services which are usually included in our Tibet tour packages. If you take our group tours, you will enjoy our free airport pick-up and drop-off services which are offered at contain hours:
Free Airport Transfer to Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 10:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 09:30 AM;
- - Around 14:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 13:30 PM;
- - Around 17:00 pick up travelers who arrive at Lhasa Gonggar Airport before 16:30 PM.
Free Transfer to Airport from Hotel in Lhasa
- - Around 07:00 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 09:00 ~ 11:30 AM;
- - Around 09:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport between 11:30 AM ~ 14:30 PM;
- - Around 12:30 pick up travelers who departs from Lhasa Gonggar Airport after 14:30 PM.
- Learn more about Lhasa Gonggar International Airport.
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
B-plan for Beijing Lhasa Flights
If your time permits, taking a Beijing Lhasa Train is also a good choice. In you train journey, you will get an opportunity to witness the beautiful landscape along Qinghai-Tibet Railway. There is a daily train Z21 running from Beijing West Railway Station to Lhasa Railway Station and the whole journey takes about 40 hours. Because you have to stay two nights in the train, it is advised to book a Soft Sleeper which offers better facilities and more comfortable environment.
>> Learn more about Beijing Lhasa Trains
Wonderful Views of Train Journey
Tibet Travel Permit and Flight Travel
A Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit) is the MUST-DOCUMENT to take a flight to Tibet. It is firstly needed to book flight at the airport. When you check in and check out the airports, the original Tibet Travel Permit also will be checked. Please remember to duplicate at least 3 copies of Tibet Travel Permit because the permits are required for many occasions. The permit can only be issued in Tibet by the Tibet Tourism Bureau, and also can be only applied by travel agency behalf of travelers. It needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
How to Apply for Tibet Travel Permit
1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China(hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the original permit to you by post.
>> Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
Tibet Travel Permit
Useful Notes on Tibet Flight Travel
1. Necessary documents required to take a flight to/off Tibet
- Chinese visa is always needed no matter you are taking a flight or a train to Tibet. The office man in the airport will check your Chinese visa when your go to board the plane.
- The passport will be needed for many situations: booking flight ticket, checking in flight, checking in hotel, checking in the Border Station in Tibet, etc. Make sure your passport is valid and original.
- Original Tibet Travel Permit will be checked when you board your plane at the airports in China.
2. How to book flight ticket?
The flight ticket can be booked at online websites, such as Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip, Qunar, etc. You can also buy the ticket from the airports in China or flight resellers. You are also welcomed to let us book your flight. We are always keeping up with the latest flight news and usually can book the ticket at a cheaper price. During summer and autumn, it is usuall difficult to book the flights to Lhasa. While using our booking service, we will not only book the ticket, but also arrange a valuable tour package.
3. When is the best time to fly to Tibet?
Generally speaking, months from April to October are recommended for traveling in Tibet. Other months are usually very cold, and possibly have heavy snow, especially in regions like Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Namtso Lake, etc. The flights schedules are also more frequent during April to October. During December to March, the airline companies will cut down the flight schedules, usually from daily weekly, even to none. But top cities like Chengdu and Xian still operate daily flights during the shoulder season. It is recommended to take the morning flight so that you can get to Lhasa before late afternoon, and have enough time to acclimatize yourself to the altitude and thin air in Lhasa. The morning flights also cut down the risk that your flights would be delayed or canceled.
4. Apart from Beijing, where can I also take a flight to Tibet?
Apart Beijing, you can also fly to Tibet from Chengdu, Xian, Chongqing, Kunming, Shanghai, Shanggri-la etc.
5. International flights to Tibet
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa and Tibet Travel Permit.
6. What else airport I can fly to except for Lhasa Gonggar International Airport?
Tibet has five airports in total. Besides Lhasa Gonggar Airport, you can also take a flight to Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Qamdo. But only certain cities in China operate flights to these smaller cities.
- Shigatse - there is daily flight flying between Chengdu and Shigatse each day. The airport name is Shigatse Peace Airport, which is about 46km from Shigatse city.
- Nyingchi - Chengdu usually offers 4 morning flights to Nyingchi Milin Airport. While its neighboring city Chongqing also has 3 morning flights to Nyingchi each day. If you travel from Nyingchi to Lhasa, you are recommended to take a flight to Nyingchi firstly from Chengdu or Chongqing. It is also available to fly out Tibet directly from Nyingchi.
- Qamdo - Both Chongqing and Chengdu operate a daily flight to Qamdo in Tibet. But there are few travelers have chosen this line because Qamdo is not a popular tourist destination in Tibet.
- Ngari - Urumqi (capital of Xinjiang) offers a daily direct flight to Ngari with a stop at Kashgar on every Tuesday and Friday. Taking this flight, passengers need Military Permit and Border Pass as well as Tibet Travel Permit.
7. The regulation on the luggage allowance on the plane
|Allowed Baggage Size
|Allowed Carry-on Baggage
|5kg * 2 pieces
|Allowed Checked-in Baggage
8. Will my kids get a discounted flight ticket?
Kids aging 2 to 12 years old (including 12) will get a discount of 50% of the full price of the flight fare. If an adult take a flight to Lhasa from Beijing with a child aging at 10 and the full price for the economy class is 3260 CNY, the ticket fare for the child is 1630 CNY. The child also doesn’t have to pay for Airport Construction Fee while the adult has to. Infant under 2 years old only has to pay 10% of the full price, but the separate seat is not provided.
9. How do I collect (receive) the flight ticket?
Since most flight tickets are booked online, so firstly you will receive an e-ticket. You will change a paper ticket when you checking in your flight at a counter in the airport.