Aliens’ Travel Permit – A must for Travel outside Lhasa

12 February 2019 Last updated at 18:38

Aliens' Travel Permit, compared with Tibet Entry Permit, is not the must to enter Tibet. However it’s indeed a must for foreigners to visit the areas outside Lhasa, like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, etc. Issued by Tibetan local Public Security Bureau, it also known as the PSB permit, and can be easily applied in Lhasa, Shigatse, Nyingchi or other prefectures. While if trying to visit beyond Lhasa without the PSB permit, you will be stopped by local police and failed to continue your further travel in Tibet.

Note: We can only arrange your Tibet Travel Permit (Aliens' Travel Permit) after you arrive in Lhasa, because we need your original passport and China visa to arrange it. Please hand your original passport and visa to your guide upon your arrival.)

Which areas require the Aliens' Travel Permit?

Presently, only Lhasa and Nagqu are opened to foreigners and all other areas are regarded as unopened areas for foreigners. Aliens’ Travel Permit as one of essential document is a must to visit them, including:

  1. Shigatse Area: including Sakya Monastery, Mt. Everest & Everest Base Camp, Rongbuk Monastery, etc.
  2. Gyangtse County: including Palcho Monastery &its Kubum Stupa, etc.
  3. Shannan Region: including Samye Monastery, Changdruk Temple, Yumbulagang Palace, Tomb of Tibetan King, etc.
  4. Nyingchi Region: including Basum Lake, Pomi, Rawu, etc.
  5. Ngari Region: including Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, etc.
  6. Chamdo Region

How to apply for Aliens’ Travel Permit?

Unlike other permits, Aliens’ Travel Permit is applied after you entering Tibet. Once in Tibet, your tour guide is required to retain the original copy of Tibet Entry Permit and your Passport to apply for Aliens’ Travel Permit on behalf of you, only if you will travel areas mentioned above. With an easy procedure, it may take about 30 minutes to get it done according to how many members in the group and the cost is 50 Yuan/person.

Top Concerned Questions about Tibet Travel Permit

  • 1. Why need permit to travel Tibet?

    Tibet as one part of China has unique political climate making it different from the rest regions. Therefore, a valid passport and Chinese Visa are no enough to visit Tibet. And a package of Tibet Travel Permits is needed for foreigners to visit here.
  • 2. Who needs Tibet Travel Permit?

    Only foreign passport holders (including overseas Chinese without Chinese Passport) and visitors from Taiwan to Tibet need to apply for a visa, citizens of the mainland and SAR passport holders from Hong Kong and Macao do not need to apply. Note: Diplomats, Journalists, professional media photographer and government officials are not able to visit Tibet as Tourists and also can’t issue their Tibet permit through ordinary travel agencies.
  • 3. Can I obtain my Tibet Permits on arrival of Tibet?

    Most of permits for travel to Tibet must be obtained before enter Tibet, excepting the Aliens’ Tourist Permit (PSB permit). For instance the Tibet Entry Permit (TTB permit), there are check points sited on airports and train stations to check this permit before you getting aboard to Tibet. Without a TTB permit, you can never catch your train/flight heading to Tibet. Also If enter a restricted area without the proper permit, you can be fined, detained and deported.
  • 4. How to apply for Tibet Travel Permit?

    By visiting Tibet, foreigners need to book a Tibet tour with travel agency, who will help you to apply for Tibet Permits and other tour service provided. All you need to do are sending your scanning copy of your valid passport and Chinese visa 10-15 days before your visit, with personal info attached, including your name, nationality, passport number, sex, date of birth, occupation, etc. With all truly necessary documents supplied to us by email, we’ll offer you all-in-one Tibet Tour without worries.
  • 5. How long can I get the Tibet Travel Permit?

    Generally it takes three days to approve a TTB permit with completed documents. And if your itinerary including Everest Base Camp, Mt. Kailash or Nyingchi Prefecture, the time to get approved will be extend a couple of days. When you get the permits, it may take another 2-4 days to express delivery. With more details, please check Tibet Permit FAQs.

Tell us your tour plan, and we'll apply Tibet Permit for you

Recommended Tour Packages

Tibet has too much to offer. And our aim is to bring you the best experience in Tibet. Following are some other recommended Tibet tour packages that you may be interested in. All of our Tibet tour packages are customizable to meet your personal requirements. You can also contact us to customize a trip if you want or check more Tibet Tours>

Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!

  • Your Question:
  • Your Name:
  • Your Email:
  • Submit

Questions & Discussions

Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.

Is this possible; fly from Lhasa to Ngari and then get transportation down to Taklakot and from there enter Nepal.
2016-11-11 01:36
Hello Italo,

Thanks for your question. Currently you can fly from Lhasa to Ngari, but you can't directly leave Tibet for Nepal from Nepal-China borders because all borders are closed due to earthquakes. You have to drive or fly back to Lhasa, and leave China from other cities in China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, etc.