Tourists are enjoying the local Sa Paru Festival in Nepal
Tibet Group Visa - Must-have Travel Visa for Nepal Tibet Tour
Do I need a visa to travel to Tibet from Nepal?
Making a Tibet tour from Nepal becomes increasingly popular in recent years. Naturally, the travel visa and permits involved in such an international travel is totally different from getting to Tibet from mainland China. Except the basic Tibet Travel Permit (also called Tibet Visa) and other necessary permits, a special kind of Group Visa is required for a Tibet tour from Nepal, both by land or by air.
The Group Visa refers to Chinese Group Visa, or Chinese Group Tourist Visa, and often be named as Tibet Group Visa. Before traveling to Tibet from Nepal, all foreign travelers (Nepalese and Indians included) have to book a tour and let the travel agency apply for the Tibet Group Visa in Kathmandu Nepal. Then you can have a overland journey or fly to Tibet with the Group Visa.
Note: A normal Chinese Visa got in your home country does NOT apply to a Nepal Tibet tour, though it’s suitable for travel to Tibet from mainland China.
What is a Tibet Group Visa?
Tibet Group Visa is a special type of single-entry Chinese Tourist Visa which is valid for a maximum of 30 days. It is issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu Nepal for tourists who plan to travel to Tibet from Nepal, whether by flight or by overland driving. As a special regional visa regulation, Tibet Group Visa only covers all itinerary booked in Tibet and expanded tour in mainland China, and is difficult to get extension.
Different from Chinese Visa printed on the travelers’passport, Tibet group Visa is issued on a piece of A4 paper listing with tourists’name, sex, date of birth, occupation, nationality, passport number, entry and exit date of China. Please note that, all foreign visitors are required to join in a Tibet tour organized by local travel agency, pre-book tour guide, driver and vehicle and accommodation in Tibet. Application is accepted only when at least 5 tourists traveling together.
After the issuance, each traveler will get two copies of original Tibet Group visa. One will be checked and collected by immigration office when entering Tibet and another will be used for exit formalities when leaving China. All group members are compulsory to travel together, enter and exit at the same time and same place.
Tibet Group Visa (Single-entry China Group Tourist Visa)
How to apply for a Tibet Group Visa?
Individual application from the Chinese Embassy is prohibited. Since foreign tourists are only allowed to travel to Tibet with arranged tour schedules, accommodation and accompanied by local tour guide, drive and vehicle, the first and most important step is to book a Tibet tour package from a reliable and professional Tibet travel agency (like Tibet Discovery). The agency will take care of all travel services as you requested, including application of Tibet Group Visa and all necessary Tibet permits. (only a travel agency can submit the Group Visa application)
Below are detailed instruction of applying the Tibet Group Visa:
Step 1: Book a Nepal Tibet Tour Package starting from Kathmandu with Tibet Discovery.
Step 2: Send us a clear photo of your valid passport. We will use it to apply for Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau for you.
Step 3: Submit Tibet Group Visa application. Our staff in Kathmandu will bring an Application Form to you and help you complete the form, collect your original passport and passport-size photo, then submit all required documents (including the Invitation Letter prepared by us) to Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu to apply for the Group Tourist Visa. (Note:You can still hold copy of passport to travel in Nepal when you original passport is taken to embassy for visa application.)
Step 4: Obtain your Tibet Group Visa. You can get Tibet Group Visa from our Nepal office, or let us deliver it to your hotel. We will collect the issued visa from Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu on embassy working days from Monday to Friday.
Send Us Your Scan Copy of Passport & Others
About Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal
Address: Baluwatar, Kathmandu，Nepal / Fax: 00977-1-4414045 / Tel (daytime): 00977-1-4411740
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / International Call Code: 00977-1
Official Website: http://np.china-embassy.org/eng/
Working Hour: From Monday to Friday (9:00 -12:00 & 14:00.-17:00. Local Time in Nepal) Cosular Section of Embassy will be closed during Nepal holidays and Chinese national holidays according to notices released from embassy.
Documents Required for Applying a Tibet Group Visa
To get a Tibet Group Visa and compulsory Tibet permits smoothly, all non-Chinese passport holders (foreigner travelers) must prepare the following documents:
● Valid Passport & Scan Copies of Passport. Passport is the basic and the most important travel document certificating holder’s identity and nationality. It should be valid for at least 6 months with blank pages. Besides, tourist also need to prepare some scan copies for multiple cases, which will be used for TTB (Tibet Travel Permit, or Tibet Entry Permit) application in Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB).
● Passport-size Photos. We will prepare Visa Application Form and help you complete the form. The photo is required to be a recent 48mmX33mm front passport-size photo on white background without hat on. Applicants don’t need to go to the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu in person. Our staff in Nepal will submit the related documents and collect once issued.
A Valid Passport is Essential
How Much is a Tibet Group Visa
Your application of Tibet Group Visa is processed and issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, but the submission is made in the authorized Chinese Visa Application Service Center in Kathmandu. The embassy collect the application fee and expedited application fee, and the center will charge for service as well.
Visa Fee of Tibet Group Visa
Time of Entry
Regular (US Dollar)
Urgent (US Dollar)
Extreme Urgent (US Dollar)
Service Charge (Per Person)
US Passport Holders
Group Visa (Single)
Albanian & Micronesian Citizens
Note: 1.) The Group Visa fee is different by nationalities and processing time. 2.) We will collect additional fee per person as service charge. 3.) The latest visa fees above are only provided for reference, subject to actual charges. You can contact us to catch the latest Group Visa price.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Tibet Group Visa
Currently, Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu offers Regular Visa Service and Urgent Visa Service to all applicants. Sometimes, Extra Urgent Service will be provided too. The Regular processing usually needs about 5 working days and Urgent service only takes about 3 working days. For urgent processing, if you submit visa application to embassy before 12:00 am on the first day, you can get your Tibet Group Visa on the third day, otherwise, your Tibet Group Visa can only be collected on the fourth day.
Other Visas & Permits Needed for a Nepal Tibet Tour
Tibet is located in southwest China, borders on Nepal, India, Bhutan, Burma, Kashmir region and etc. There are plenty of tourism resources, distinctive Tibetan customs and culture, long history on this Qinghai Tibet Plateau. All that makes it a more attractive destination and needs complicated permits for foreign travelers.
If you will travel to Tibet from Nepal, the Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Border Pass are all compulsory documents you must obtain. The three permits all will be checked when taking Kathmandu Lhasa Flight or driving overland via Gyirong Port. Don’t worry, your Tibet tour guide will bring them to the China Customs. If you plan to visit Mount Everest, Mount Kailash, Nyingchi, Shannan or other destinations outside Lhasa, several other permits are needed to visit those special regions.
1. Tibet Travel Permit (also called Tibet Entry Permit/TTB Permit). IIssued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, TTB is the foremost and compulsory official document which permits a foreign traveler to enter and travel in Tibet.
2. Border Pass. International travel between Nepal and Tibet China must be guaranteed by a Border Pass issued by Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa. Visiting border areas like Ngari, Shigatse and Shannan Prefectures needs the Border Pass.
3. Alien’s Travel Permit (PSB Permit). Instead of being a must to enter Tibet, PSB Permits is a regional permit for foreigners to visit the areas outside Lhasa, like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, etc.
4. Military Permit. It is needful when tourists want to visit unopened and military sensitive places, such as Ngari (Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, etc), Nyingchi (Pomi, Rawu, etc.) and some remote places in Shannan area.
Plan B for your Nepal Tibet Tour: If you travel to Tibet from Nepal alone or with less than total 5 companions, you can apply for a regular Chinese Visa, first fly to Chengdu and other cities (with frequent trains and flights to Tibet), then transfer to Tibet from there.
Tibet Discovery is a local based travel agency in Lhasa provides superior Himalayan tour to Tibet, Nepal & Bhutan. Traveling with us, you are assured to enjoy all our high-quality travel services, including vehicles, professional tour guide and experienced driver, well-organized itinerary, assistance of visa and permits application and other travel related services.
Your Himalayan tour will become worry free because we will settle all details in advance. You can get to destination as swiftly and smoothly as possible. Our local guide and driver can accompany you to airport or Gyirong Port. Transfer service from Gyirong Port to Kathmandu can be provided if you need. Moreover, you will enjoy the freedom and flexibility to stop on the way for sightseeing or photograph. All cars are equipped with skilled and reliable drivers who have many years of driving experience in Tibet. There is also an Oxygen Box prepared for tourists.
Besides, our travel consultants will customize a tour, apply all needed permits and book the flight/train for you. During journey, your local professional travel guide will be at your side and help you enjoy a wonderful journey. Contact us to start your Tibet and Nepal discovery now!
Tibet Discovery Provides Best Tour Services
Tibet Group Visa VS Chinese Visa - Difference Between Chinese Visa and Group Visa
Tibet Group Visa belongs to a type of Chinese Tourists Visa. These two kinds of visas are often inquired and make lots of confusion when tourists decide to enter Tibet. Apart from the form of visa, Tibet Dicovery lists main differences between them to give you a clear guideline. You are free to contact us for more queries.
1. From Where to Enter Tibet. Chinese Visa with TTB is must-have travel documents when entering Tibet from mainland China. You can apply for the Chinese Visa in your home country or other third countries. However, traveling from Nepal to Tibet needs a Group Visa issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu Nepal, TTB Permit, Border Pass, etc. Your previous Chinese Visa will be invalid if you actually get into Tibet from Nepal. The choice of the two visas depends on your tour route to Tibet.
2. Number of Entry. Chinese Visa includes many types of visa based on different visiting purpose when traveling to China. Foreigner who are going to China for tourism should apply for Chinese Tourist Visa ("L" Visa). The Chinese Visa includes single-entry, double-entry and multiple entry visas, and charges differently. Tibet Group Visa is used only allowing single entry to China once and expire when you exit.
3. Applied in Person or not. Tibet Group Visa only can be submitted and applied to Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal by Nepal Travel company, no individual applicant is allowed to do the application. If you want to apply for Chinese Visa, you enjoy large freedom to submit to any authorized Chinese Embassies.
4. Holders of Visa. Tibet Group Visa applies to small, large groups of 5 and more tourists, usually they will share a same visa sheet, while the Chinese Visa is held individually.
5. Entry and Exit Regulation. Tibet Group Visa demands all tourists in the group tour enter Tibet and leave China at the same time and same place, while there is no such restriction about Chinese Visa holders. Normally they are free to choose which port to get in and out.
6. Extend or not. The Chinese Visa can be extended to a longer duration of stay, but Tibet Group Visa usually covers the already arranged tour in Tibet and mainland China, can not be extended when you finish all the booked itinerary.
Enter Tibet from Nepal or Mainland China Chinese Visa Application in Person in Canada Nepal to Tibet Group Tourists
Recommended Nepal Tibet Tour Packages
Choose one of our travelers' favorite Tibet Nepal tours below to explore the mysterious Himalaya, with our local travel experts. All of the tours are customizable. You can also let us design your own Nepal Tibet itinerary to match your personal needs and interest.
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.
Group visa from malaysia
Thanks for your question. Do you mean visa fee of Tibet Group Visa for Malaysian citizens. If it is, it costs 51 USD for processing regular visa (5 working days), processing 68 USD for urgent visa (3 working days) and 89 USD for extreme urgent visa (2 working days) at present. We will collect 25 USD per person as service charge.