All foreign travelers (Nepalese included), have to apply for the Tibet Group Visa in Kathmandu Nepal if you are getting to Tibet from Nepal. Maybe you already have the valid Chinese Visa and Tibet Travel/Entry Permit, thus you are only allowed to travel to Tibet from mainland China. The Chinese Visa will NOT be admitted and allowed to go to Tibet from Nepal at the customs office.
Tibet Group Visa - Must Have Travel Visa for Nepal Tibet Tour
What is Tibet Group Visa?
Tibet Group Visa is a special type of single entry Chinese visa usually maximum for 30 days and issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu Nepal for tourists who plan to travel to Tibet from Nepal, whether by flight or by overland driving. As a special regional visa regulation, Tibet Group Visa only covers all itinerary booked in Tibet or expanded tour in mainland China and is difficult to extend extra days.
Different from Chinese Visa printed on the travelers’ passport, Tibet group Visa is issued on a piece of A4 paper listing with name, sex, date of birth, occupation, nationality, passport number, entry and exit date of China. Please note that, all foreign visitors are required to join in a Tibet tour organized by local travel agency, pre-book tour guide, driver and vehicle and accommodation in Tibet. And, in order to apply for this special Group Visa, there should have at least 5 members traveling together.
Each traveler will get two copies of original Tibet Group visa issued by the Chinese embassy in Kathmandu. One will be checked and collected by immigration office when entering Tibet and another will be used for exit formalities when leaving China. All group members are compulsory to travel together, enter and exit at the same time and same place.
How to apply the Tibet Group Visa?
Since foreign tourists are only permitted to travel to Tibet with arranged tour schedules, lodging and accompanied by local travel guide, drive and vehicle, all you need to have to do is book a tour package from one reliable and professional Tibet travel agency, they will take care of all travel arrangements as you requested including the group visa application. Individual application from the Embassy is prohibited; travel agency can submit the Group Visa only. Get to know more details about the Tibet Group Visa with following introductions.
1. Book a Nepal Tibet Tour Package starting from Kathmandu with TibetDiscovery.
2. Send us a clear photo of your valid passport. We will use it to apply for Tibet Travel Permit and invitation letter from Tibet Tourism Bureau for you.
3. Submit Tibet Group Visa application. Our staff in Kathmandu will bring an Application Form to you and help you complete the form, collect your original passport and passport-size photo, then submit all required documents (including the Invitation Letter prepared by us) to Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu to apply for the Group Visa. ( Note : You can still hold copy of passport to travel in Nepal when you original passport is taken to embassy for visa application.)
4. Obtain your Tibet Group Visa. You can get Tibet Group Visa from our Nepal office, or let us deliver it to your hotel. We will collect the issued visa from Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu on embassy working days from Monday to Friday.
Send Us Your Scan Copy of Passport & Others
How Long to Obtain Tibet Group Visa:
Currently, Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu opens Regular Visa Service and Urgent Visa Service to all applicants. The Regular processing needs 5 working days and Urgent service needs only 3 working days. For urgent processing, if you submit visa application to embassy before 12:00 am on the first day, you can get your Tibet Group Visa on the third day, otherwise, your Tibet Group Visa can only be collected on the fourth day.
Documents You Should Prepare:
Non-Chinese passport holders must prepare the following documents and certificates in order to get Tibet Visas & permits smoothly.
A. Valid Passport & Scan Copies of Passport. Passport is the basic and the most important travel document certificating holder’s identity and nationality. It should be valid for at least 6 months. Besides, tourist also need to prepare some scan copies for multiple cases, which will be used for TTB (Tibet Travel Permit, or Tibet Entry Permit) application in Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB).
B. Passport-size Photos. We will prepare Visa Application Form and help you fill in it. The photo is required to be a recent 48mmX33mm front passport-size photo on white background without hat on. Applicants don’t need to go to the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu in person. Our staff in Nepal will submit the related documents to work it out.
A Valid Passport is Essential
Exchange Currency to Nepalese Rupee
Information of Embassy of PRC in Nepal
Address: Baluwatar, Kathmandu，Nepal
Ambassador Tel: 00977-1-4419389
Tel (daytime): 00977-1-4411740
International Call Code: 00977-1
Working Hour: From Monday to Friday
(9:00a.m.-12:00a.m. & 14:00p.m.-17:00p.m. Local Time in Nepal)
Cosular Section of Embassy will be closed during Nepal holidays and Chinese national holidays according to notices released from embassy.
Official Website: http://np.china-embassy.org/eng/
Visa Fee of Tibet Group Visa
|Nationality||Time of Entry||Regular (US Dollar)||Urgent (US Dollar)||Extreme Urgent (US Dollar)||Service Charge (Per Person)|
|US Passport Holders||Group Visa (Single)||140||156||177||25 USD|
|Albanian & Micronesian Citizens||5||5||5|
Note: 1.) Fee of Tibet Group Visa collected by Chinese Embassy is different by nationalities and processing time. 2.) We will collect 25 USD per person as service charge. 3.) The latest visa fees above are only provided for reference, subject to actual charges. You can contact us to catch the latest information.
What else visas & permits are required for Nepal Tibet Tour?
Tibet Autonomous Region (Tibet) is located in southwest China, borders on Nepal, India, Bhutan, Burma, Kashmir region and etc. There are plenty of tourism resources, distinctive Tibetan customs and culture, long history on this Qinghai Tibet Plateau. All of this makes it more attractive famous destination and need complicated permits for foreign travelers. If you will travel to Tibet from Nepal, the Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Border Pass are all compulsory documents you must obtain. It is necessary to hold the Group Visa to enter Tibet, whether you take Kathmandu Lhasa Flight or have overland driving from Gyirong Port. And the Tibet Travel Permit (TTB Permit) and Border Pass will be checked at the China Customs at Gyirong Border or Lhasa Gonggar Airport, but don’t worry, your Tibet tour guide will bring them to the China Customs. Other than those, you are required to get some other permits to visit special regions in Tibet out of Lhasa.
1. TTB also called Tibet Travel Permit, Tibet Entry Permit. Issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, TTB is the foremost and compulsory official document which permits a foreign traveler to enter and travel in Tibet.
2. Border Pass . International travel between Nepal and Tibet China must be guaranteed by a Border Pass issued by Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa. Visiting border areas like Ngari, Shigatse and Shannan Prefectures needs the Border Pass.
3. Alien’s Travel Permit - PSB Permit. Instead of being a must to enter Tibet, PSB Permits is a regional permit for foreigners to visit the areas outside Lhasa, like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, etc.
4. Military Permit will be needed when tourists want to visit unopened and military sensitive places, such as Ngari (Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, etc), Nyingchi (Pomi, Rawu, etc.) and some remote places in Shannan area.
Tibet Group Visa VS Chinese Visa – difference between Chinese Visa and Group Visa
These two kinds of visas are often inquired and make lots of confusion when tourists decide to enter Tibet. Apart from the form of visa, TibetDicovery lists most frequently asked questions about difference between them to give you clear guideline. You are free to contact us for more queries.
1. From Where to Tibet. Chinese Visa with TTB is must - have travel documents when entering Tibet from mainland China. You can apply for the Chinese Visa in your home country or other third countries. However, the entry into Tibet from Nepal needs TTB & the Tibet Group Visa issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu Nepal. Your previous Chinese Visa will be invalid if you actually get into Tibet from Nepal. The choice of the two visas depends on your tour route to Tibet.
2. Times of Entry. Chinese Visa includes many types of visa based on different visiting purpose when traveling to China. Foreigner who are going to China for tourism should apply for Chinese Tourist Visa ("L" Visa). The Chinese Visa includes single-entry, double-entry and multiple entry visas, and charges differently. Tibet Group Visa is a special single entry visa only can enter Tibet, China once and expire when you exit.
3. Applied in Person or not. Tibet Group Visa only can be submitted and applied to Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal by Nepal Travel company, no individual applicant is allowed to do the application. If you want to apply for Chinese Visa, you enjoy large freedom to submit to any authorized Chinese Embassies.
4. Holders of Visa. Tibet Group Visa applies to small, large groups of tourists, usually they will share a same visa sheet, while the Chinese Visa can be only held individually.
5. Entry and Exit Regulation. Tibet Group Visa demands all tourists in the group tour enter Tibet and leave China at the same time and same place, while there is no such restriction about Chinese Visa holders. Normally they are free to choose which port to get in and out.
6. Extend or not. The Chinese Visa is extendable to a longer stay period with much more flexibility in any city authorized to issue, but Tibet Group Visa usually covers the already arranged tour in Tibet and mainland China, can not be extended when you finish all the booked itinerary.
Recommended Nepal Tibet Tour Packages
Choose one of our travelers' favorite Tibet Nepal tours below to explore the mysterious Himalaya, with our local travel experts. All of the tours are customizable. You can also let us design your own Nepal Tibet itinerary to match your personal needs and interest.
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email:
Questions & Discussions
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.
Thanks for your question. Do you mean visa fee of Tibet Group Visa for Malaysian citizens. If it is, it costs 51 USD for processing regular visa (5 working days), processing 68 USD for urgent visa (3 working days) and 89 USD for extreme urgent visa (2 working days) at present. We will collect 25 USD per person as service charge.
Wish you a nice trip.