Necessary Permits for Visiting Mount Everest Tibet Side
If you are planning a trip to Mount Everest in the China Tibet side, you must be aware that you will have to obtain several necessary permits. Otherwise, your Mount Everest dream couldn’t be accomplished. First of all, you have to have a valid passport and a valid Chinese visa, which is the precondition of any travel in China. With Chinese visa and passport, you can apply for the permits for Mount Everest – Tibet Travel Permit, Alien Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Entry Permit)
Some people call Tibet Travel Permit as “Tibet Visa” which is not the official name. Tibet Travel Permit is also called as Tibet Entry Permit. It is issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa. This document permits you to travel in Tibet, including Mount Everest, also permits you to take a train or flight to Tibet. When you go to take your train or flight to Tibet, the Tibet Travel Permit will be checked. Without the permit, you will be rejected to board the train and flight. Travelers can’t apply for the permit on their own. You have to let a China Travel Agency to apply for the permit on behalf of you. It usually needs about 15~20 days to obtain the permit.
Who Has to Hold Tibet Travel Permit
- Any Non-Chinese passport holders, regardless of country;
- The Taiwan tourists, who do not have the valid identity card of China;
- The overseas Chinese, who do not have Chinese passport or ID card.
The Hong Kong and Macau citizens who hold SAR Passport, Home-Visiting Certificate or Permit do not need a Tibet Travel Permit when traveling to/in Tibet Autonomous Region.
How to Obtain the Tibet Travel Permit
- 1. Contact us to work out and confirm an itinerary in Tibet;
- 2. Send us the scanned copies of your passport, and provide an available address in China (hotel or local agency) to receive your permit;
- 3. We apply for the Tibet Travel Permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa;
- 4. Once the permit is issued, we will send the original permit to you by post.
- > Learn more detail about Tibet Travel Permit Application
The first page of TTB Permit (Tibet Entry Permit)
The second page of TTB Permit (Tibet Entry Permit)
Alien Travel Permit
Tibet has 7 prefectures – Lhasa, Shigatse, Nyingchi, Shannan, Ngari, Nagchu, Qamdo. If you want to visit prefectures beyond Lhasa, you will need to have an Alien Travel Permit, which also means you can only visit Lhasa area if you just have a Tibet Travel Permit. Mount Everest is located in Tingri County of Shigatse Prefecture. So travelers has to obtain an Alien Travel Permit to visit Mount Everest.
The Alien Travel Permit for your Mount Everest trip will be issued after you arriving at Shigatse City. Your tour guide will take you original passport and Chinese visa to apply for the permit. It usually takes only about 30 minutes to get the permit.
Alien Travel Permit
Tibet Border Pass
The Border Pass (or Frontier Pass) is required because Mount Everest is located near the border. You will check in a border checkpoint before you getting to Mount Everest. This permit is issued by Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa. It can't be applied by travelers individually. If you take flight from Katmandu to Lhasa, the Border Pass is also required. Your travel agency will apply for the pass and then send a scanned copy to you. Similarly, if you leave Tibet from Lhasa to Katmandu by air, the Border Pass is needed as well.
How to Obtain Tibet Border Pass
- 1. Send us your copy of passport and China Visa, and then we will apply for Tibet Travel Permit (TTB Permit) first;
- 2. Once the Tibet Travel Permit is issued, we will then use it to apply for Tibet Border Pass;
- 3. If you take a flight to Lhasa from Kathmandu, we will send you a scanned copy of the border pass; If you get to Lhasa from other cities in China, such as Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, we will keep the permit for you.
Tibet Border Pass
More Mount Everest Travel Guide
Recommended Mount Everest Tour Packages
Conquering the world's highest peak is the once in a lifetime journey. Take one of our classic Mount Everest tours which have been successfully operated for many years and created loads of amazing experiences for our customers to visit Mount Everest, discover Mount Everest, enjoy Mount Everest and fall in love with Mount Everest! You can also let us design a Mount Everest Trip to match your personal needs and interest.
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: