How to Plan an Everest Tour
Soaring to 8848 meters, Mount Everest is the highest and most magnificent peak in world. Every mountaineer takes climbing to its summit as his life-time long achievement. For regular tourists, it is also available to explore the mysterious north face of Mount Everest. Everest Base Camp is highest place which can be reached by tourists, offering the best viewpoint for the pyramid-like peak.
Without available direct flights or trains, it will be a long journey to travel to Everest and driving is the only transportation. This page offers the travel ideas about Everest for your reference, and you can plan an Everest tour according to your time and preference. Usually tourists take 8 days to have an Everest tour, from Lhasa to Everest via Gyantse and Shigatse.
Classic Everest Tours
Most tourists start their Everest tour from Lhasa, because Lhasa can be reached conveniently. There are daily flights to Lhasa from Beijing, Chengdu, Xian, Shanghai, Kunming etc. Trains are also available to Lhasa from Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Xianan, Chongqing and Guangzhou. Lhasa is also well-linked with Kathmandu by direct flights. Moreover, spending several days in Lhasa and Shigatse can help the tourists reduce the risk of getting high altitude sickness because they have more time for acclimatization.
8 Days Everest Tour with Prologue & Epilogue in Lhasa
Day 1: Arrival in Lhasa. Tourists usually get to Lhasa from Beijing and Chengdu, because there are frequent flights and both of them are top tourist cities as well.
Day 5: Leave Shigatse for Everest. It takes 9 hours’ driving time to get to Everest through winding roads. On the journey, you can witness breathtaking plateau views. You could accommodate at Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse or Tent Guesthouses.
Day 6: Visit Everest Base Camp. Everest Base Camp is the most desirable and reachable place in Everest for regular tourists. Here you are able to appreciate the magical wonders of nature. Don’t miss the spectacular sunrise, which always take place in 6:00~7:00. Drive back to Shigatse after the sightseeing and accommodate there.
Day 7~8: Visit Tashilhunpo Monastery – the former residence of Panchen Lama, and then drive back to Lhasa. Leave Lhasa for your next destination on Day 8.
Potala Palace - World Cultural Heritage
Splendid View of Mount Everest
7 Days Everest Tour Ending in Shigatse
A tour combining Tibet and Chengdu is rather popular among all tourists. As the hometown of giant panda with a relatively close distance to Tibet, Chengdu is always listed in the itinerary before/after Tibet. If you want to leave for Chengdu after your Everest tour, it is a good idea to fly to Chengdu from Shigatse on Day 7. There is one daily flight departing from Shigatse at 8:15 and getting to Chengdu at 11:30.
7~8 Days Everest tour from Lhasa to Kathmandu
After Everest tour, drive to Gyirong instead of Shigatse on Day 6. On your way to Gyirong Town, the impressive views of snow-capped Himalayan Range won’t disappoint you. On the next day, you will drive a few kilometers from Gyirong Port where you will across the custom to Nepal and transfer to Kathmandu.
12 Days EBC Trekking Tour
Trekking to Everest must be an unforgettable journey for all trekking enthusiasts. An Everest trekking tour takes about 12 days. On Day 5, you will pay a visit to Tashilhunpo Monastery and then drive to Old Tingri. Then, you can trek from Old Tingri to EBC via Lungthang, Lamna La, Zommug and Rongbuk Monastery over four days. After that, drive back to Lhasa via Shigatse and leave for your next destination.
Panoramic Sight of Tashilhunpo Monastery
Friendship Bridge between China and Nepal
Trek to EBC
Extend your Everest Tour to Other Regions
Besides Mount Everest, an Everest tour covers the highlights of Lhasa, Gyantse and Shigatse as well. However, there are many other areas worthy of your discovery. If your time permits, you could visit Namtso, Tsetang, Nyingchi, Mount Kailash etc.
● For those people who love photograph, you can spend 1~2 days in taking the extremely beautiful pictures in Namtso. 2 days’ time ensure you to have longer time to enjoy the landscape, and you may see the sunrise, sunset and starry sky.
● If you want to experience the different views in Tibet, Nyingchi will give you a surprise. Called Eastern Switzerland, Nyching shows the contradicted view of harsh landscape in Everest. You can see wild forests, colorful flowers, luxury grasslands as well as pure sky and snow mountains.
● Tsetang is must-go place if you are interested in the Tibetan Buddhist culture and history. Honored as the Cradle of Tibetan Civilization, Tsetang features with the first monastery – Samye Monastery and the first palace of Tibet - Yumbulkung.
● Take Mt. Kailash into consideration if you want to fully explore the wildest areas in Tibet. A tour including Mt. Kailash and Mt. Everest is also an in-depth Tibet Discovery which covers holy monasteries, sacred lakes, heavenly peaks and historical relic sites.
Heavenly Namtso Lake
Charming Landscape of Lulang Forest in Nyingchi
Tips for Planning a Lhasa Travel
● Travel documents: Travelling to Everest Base Camp in Tibet, Tibet travel Permit, Alien Travel Permit and Boarder Permit are all the necessary permits. There permits can only be applied from the appointed institute by travel agency on behalf of tourists. Usually, it needs about 15~20 days to get Tibet Travel Permit. Please Contact Us in advance and our travel consultant will customize a tour and apply the permits for you.
● Food & Accommodation: Except for one hotel under decoration, there are two places for accommodation at present. One is Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse (opposite Rongbuk Monastery) offering basic room without independent toilets. It is equipped restaurant where you can have Chinese food. The other is Tent Guesthouses. The rooms and service are also basic and you have to share your tents with others. There is no restaurant, but the owners can make basic food for you. You are suggested to prepare some food and drinks by yourself.
● Best Time to Visit: The best time to visit Everest ranges from April to October when the weather is much better. Nevertheless, the temperature is rather low in Everest, even in summer. During the slack seasons, the weather might be changeable. Upon the arrival at Rongbuk Monastery, you are recommended to go to EBC first if the weather is good and Mount Everest can be seen clearly.
● High Altitude Sickness: Many people may feel uncomfortable more or less as they get to the high plateau area. The altitude of EBC reaches to 5,200 meters and you have to pay special attention to your physical condition. We recommend you spend several days in Lhasa and Shigatse to help you acclimatize your body to the high altitude before going to Everest. Keeping warm, drinking more water and avoiding strong activities will also be helpful.
● What to Pack: In order to ensure you a safe and comfortable Everest tour, there are some advices on what to pack. Take two bags with your – a large backpack for daily activities and a smaller carry bag for your important documents and property. You need to prepare comfortable clothing like windbreaker, waterproof clothing, down jacket etc. Sunscreen cream, sun block, lip balm, sunglasses and sunhat are also helpful to protect you from the dry weather and strong sunlight. Necessary medicines for preventing high altitude sickness or other disease are also important.
More Mount Everest Travel Guide
Recommended Tibet Tour Packages
Tibet has too much to offer. And our aim is to bring you the best experience in Tibet. Following are some other recommended Tibet tour packages that you may be interested in. All of our Tibet tour packages are customizable to meet your personal requirements. You can also contact us to customize a trip if you want.
More Mount Everest Travel Guide
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: