Kathmandu Durbar Square, a World Heritage Culture Site in Kathmandu Valley, served as capital in Nepal
How to Get to Nepal - Travel to Nepal by Flight or by Road
Awarded as one of the best value destination by Lonely Planet, Nepal, located in southern Himalayas and bordering Tibet in north is an international hotspot destination abundant in various tourism resources. Every year, tourists from worldwide visit Nepal to explore the ancient history, culture from religious heritage sites and old architectures, view beautiful natural scenery of Himalaya Range and Mount Everest, picturesque lakes and experience local activities like trekking, rafting, paragliding, jungle safari and mountain climbing, etc…Under the “On Arrival Visa” policy, travelling to Nepal can be very simple and convenient. Can’t wait your Nepal tour? Check the available transportation belowl to realize your Nepal tour as soon as possible!
Take A Flight to Travel to Nepal
Flying to Nepal is the most convenient, time-saving and comfortable way to get to Nepal. It is recommended to get to Nepal by flight, if you have limited time, or come from country far away, travel with huge luggage.
How many International Airports are there in Nepal?
At present, Nepal has one international airport only, which is the Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport (IATA: KTM, ICAO: VNKT) in Kathmandu. The Kathmandu Airport is also well-linked with major destination cities within Nepal by air, like Pokhara, Chitwan. Thus, almost all tourists take Kathmandu as gateway city to tour Nepal.
Which airlines fly into Kathmandu, Nepal?
Situated about 5km from the Kathmandu City center, Kathmandu Tribhuvan Airport currently runs about 30 international airlines mainly linking with cities in Asia and Middle East. If you depart from country such as China, India (Delhi/Mumbai/Kolkata/Bengaluru...), Bangladesh (Dhaka), Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), Thailand (Bangkok), Singapore, United Arab Emirates (Dubai/Sharjah/Abu Dhabi), Saudi Arabia (Dammam), Qatar (Doha), Oman (Muscat), South Korea (Seoul), Turkey (Istanbul) and Saudi Arabia (Dammam), you can fly direct to Kathmandu, Nepal within several hours and obtaining Nepal Visa on arrival at Tribhuvan Airport. Find more Flights to Nepal >>
Fly to Nepal from China (Tibet, Chengdu...)
If you already in China, or will have a China tour before visiting Nepal, you can also fly to Nepal from one of connected cities in China. Specifically, there are about 10 cities in China,namely, Lhasa (Tibet), Chengdu, Guangzhou, Kunming, Hong Kong, Beijing, Chongqing, Shenzhen, Guiyang and Changsha operating direct flights to Kathmandu, Nepal within half a day. Among them, the Chengdu-Lhasa Flight takes less than 2 hours (the shortest) flying across the world's highest mountain - Mount Everest, while flights to Kathmandu from Beijing，Shenzhen, Changsha with stopover needs more than 10 hours (the longest). So it's highly suggested to make a China Tibet tour with Nepal to experience great and gorgeous landscape, history and culture, holy Buddhist belief in Tibet and then travel further to Nepal.
● Lhasa to Nepal (Kathmandu): about 1 hour 50 minutes, 4 flights each week by Sichuan Airlines.
● Chengdu to Nepal (Kathmandu): about 3 hours, 1 flight each day by Air China; about 6 hours via stopover in Lhasa, 4 flights per week by Sichuan Airlines.
● Chongqing to Nepal (Kathmandu): about 4 hours, 2 flights per week by Himalaya Airlines.
● Kunming to Nepal (Kathmandu): about 3.5 hours, 1 daily flight by China Eastern Airlines.
● Guangzhou to Nepal (Kathmandu): about 5 hours, 2 flights each day by China Southern Airlines.
● Hong Kong to Nepal (Kathmandu): about 5~5.5 hours, 2 flights each day by Royal Nepal Airlines and Cathay Pacific.
Warm Tips: Kathmandu Tribhuvan Airport in Nepal still runs direct flights (2 to 4 flights per week) to Bhutan. Thanks to the great transfer convenience, tourists can enjoy wonderful Nepal Bhutan Travels!
Travel to Nepal by Overland Drive from Tibet and India
Nepal borders Tibet in North and India on rest three sides. Hence, tourists can travel to Nepal from Tibet by road from Tibet, southwest China or India from authorized entry and exit points opened to foreigners.
1.Travel Overland from Tibet to Nepal
Overland Route: Tibet -> Gyirong Port -> Nepal
In Tibet side, the Zhangmu-Kodari Port was severely damaged and remains closed now due to the Nepal earthquake in April 25, 2015. But, since August, 2017, the Gyirong Port at border region between Nepal and Tibet was announced to reopen as international land port for foreign travelers. It means except taking a Lhasa Kathmandu Flight to Nepal, you can also have an overland driving journey from Tibet to Nepal via Gyirong Port (about 160km away from Kathmandu) with picturesque scenery along the way. After crossing Gyirong Port, you're in Nepal now, then you can take a bus or car to Kathmandu, costing about 7~12 hours depending on the road condition. Roads can be dangerous in rainy season, so better pay attention to the weather once you decide to go the overland way.
Apart from taking flight to Nepal from Delhi，Mumbai，Kolkata，Bengaluru and other cities in India, tourists can meanwhile travel to Nepal by overland car driving. Currently, there are 6 openedports on India-Nepal border area allowing tourists across from India to Nepal, including Kakarbhitta-Jhapa, Birgunj-Parsa, Balahia-Bhairahawa, Jamunaha-Nepalgunj, Mohana-Dhangadi, Gaddachaudki (BANBASA )-Mahendranagar. Immigration Offices along the Nepal-India borders issue On Arrival Visa of Nepal conveniently as Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport does.
★ The easiest and hassle free overland route to get to Nepal from India is via Gorakhpur from Sonauli (India)– Belahiya (Nepal) Border Port. The buses to Belkahita from Sonauli runs all day, starting around 6 am, until evening and takes approximately 9 hours to Kathmandu.
★ The border Panitanki (India)– Kakarbitta (Nepal) located on the east side of Nepal is the best option to travel to Nepal overland from India. Others may not leave you with a pleasant travelling experience.
★ If you are in Darjeeling and nearby places in India, you can get to Nepal via Karkarvitta.
Nepal India Borders
Cycling to Nepal from Lhasa Tibet - Supreme Biking Adventure
Best Cycling Route：Lhasa -> Gyantse -> Shigatse -> Mount Everest ->Gyirong -> Kathmandu
Bike enthusiasts can find another special way to travel to Nepal besides the flight and drive choices mentioned. With a rough distance of about 1,100 kilometers, the Tibet to Nepal cycling trip starts from Lhasa to Kathmandu, Nepal via Gyantse and Shigatse, top destinations in Tibet. Having a mountain bike tour on the high altitude plateau is truely an ultimate challenge of both mental and physical, but the breathtaking beauty of Himalayas and exotic Tibetan culture and religion and such an once-in-a-lifetime experience make it all worthwhile.
Roads in Tibet are mostly well paved and you can easily get daily supplies like drinks, food and accommodation in during stopover. You will camp when necessary. If you're planning a mountain bike tour from Tibet to Nepal, find more guide and tips in our Lhasa to Kathmandu Cycling >>.
Lhasa Kathmandu Biking Travelers
Take Train to Nepal - Future China Nepal Railway
China and Nepal are good neighbors with close connections in multiple fields, and the first international railway between China and Nepal - the China Nepal Railway (Tibet Nepal Railway) is going to be built through Gyirong Port in the future. China will extend the Lhasa Shigatse Railway (branch of Qinghai Tibet Railway) from Shigatse in Tibet to Gyirong Port at China-Nepal border area and build railways in Nepal from Gyirong to Kathmandu with Nepal Government. Now, the most concerned sections between Shigatse to Gyirong Train and Gyirong to Kathmandu Train are still in the planning stage. It is reported the Lhasa Kathmandu Railway construction will start and be completed in recent years. Tibet Discovery will keep updating for you.
Future China-Nepal Railway Route
Useful Tips for Traveling to Nepal:
1. Best Time to Nepal. Rainy season from May to September is not recommended for Nepal tour because of the hot weather in the daytime and humid air. And during the rainy months, the roads between Gyirong and Kathmandu and among popular destinations in Nepal will be muddy, which upgrade difficulty for transfer driving if it rains a lot. Therefore, the best time travel to Nepal is during the dry season from October to April when the weather is balmy, air is clean and rains little. If you go to Nepal in rainy season, remember to bring rain gear, like umbrella and raincoat, etc. Learn More about Nepal Weather & Climate >>
2. Plan Your Nepal Tour Early. Flight tickets to Nepal in tourist high seasons maybe difficult to buy and we will arrange your guide, drive and accommodation ASAP once you decide your itinerary. Learn More about Nepal Tour Planning >>
3. Bus Change at Border Ports. There are no international bus or train serves available now, everyone has to change to another bus at Gyirong Port after get entry permitted. An international driver’s license are required if one travel overland with a vehicle. Travel with Tibet Discovery, you can enjoy worry-free transfer from Tibet to Nepal.
4. Nepal Visa. If you just fly to Nepal from your home country directly, Nepal Tourist Visa can be obtained at Immigration Office at Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport upon arrival. Or you can get the visa in any Nepal Embassy or Consulate in your home country. However, if you would like a China Nepal Tour, Chinese Visa and Nepal Visa are both needed and more visa and permits should be obtained for a Tibet Nepal tour. Learn more about Visas & Permits for a Nepal Tibet Tour>>
Change Bus to Kathmandu at Gyirong Port
Congested & Sludgy Kathmandu-Pokhara Road in July
Travel with TibetDiscovery
Tibet Discovery is a local based travel agency in Lhasa provides superior Himalayan tour to Tibet, Nepal & Bhutan. Traveling with us, you are assured to enjoy all our high-quality travel services, including vehicles, professional tour guide and experienced driver, well-organized itinerary, assistance of visa and permits application and other travel related services.
Your Himalayan tour will become worry free because we will settle all details in advance. You can get to destination as swiftly and smoothly as possible. Our local guide and driver can accompany you to airport or Gyirong Port. Transfer service from Gyirong Port to Kathmandu can be provided if you need. Moreover, you will enjoy the freedom and flexibility to stop on the way for sightseeing or photograph. All cars are equipped with skilled and reliable drivers who have many years of driving experience in Tibet. There is also an Oxygen Box prepared for tourists.
Besides, our travel consultants will customize a tour, apply all needed permits and book the flight/train for you. During journey, your local professional travel guide will be at your side and help you enjoy a wonderful journey. Contact us to start your Tibet and Nepal discovery now!
Following are some of our most recommended Nepal tour packages that you may be interested in. All of our tour packages are classic itineraries, and can be tailor-made to meet your personal requirements. You can get more Nepal Tours, or contact us to customize a trip if you want.