Tibet Entry Permit – Compulsory Permit to visit Tibet
Among several permits, Tibet Entry Permit is foremost and compulsory for foreign passport holders to enter Tibet. Issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, it is also called TTB permit. Without the TTB permit, you can’t board a flight or train to Tibet or cross overland from Nepal and will not be able to get other permits to continue to travel Tibet further.
Pay Attention: Taking flights to Tibet, you must bring the original copy of Tibet Entry Permit; by train, you should provide the photocopy, while if you transfer from Chongqing, Xian or Lanzhou, you still need to showcase the original copy to get on the train.
Latest News about Tibet Entry Permit
We are lucky to announce that Tibet Travel Permit can be issued from April again. There is no exact restriction as it used to be(only a group of 5-6 people with the same nationality available). Even if you want to travel Tibet alone, we can also apply a permit for you. But notice, the more members in your group, the more chances to get Tibet Travel Permit, which will also save a lot money for your Tibet tour, as well as meeting new friends. (Find your travel mates here)
The first page of TTB Permit (Tibet Entry Permit)
The second page of TTB Permit (Tibet Entry Permit)
Note: Please note that there are two pages for your TTB permit, you cannot enter Tibet without any page of them, please double check your TTB permit before you take the flight. The Tibet Travel Permit is issued for free by China Tibet Tourism Bureau.
Who Has to Carry a Tibet Entry Permit?
● Non-Chinese passport holders - US citizens, UK citizens, Australians, Canadians, Indians, Germans, etc.
● The Taiwan tourists, who do not have the valid identity card of China;
● The overseas Chinese, who do not have Chinese passport or ID card.
Note:The Hong Kong and Macau citizens who hold SAR passport, Home-Visiting Certificate or Permit to Traveling to and from Hong Kong and Macau do not need a Tibet Travel Permit.
Get a Tibet Entry Permit
Obtaining a Tibet Entry Permit requires booking tour through a travel agency since 2008. By traveling as a group accompany with tour guide and driver, you can get your TTB permit under the help of travel agent with your valid passport and Chinese Visa. Tibet Discovery will apply for a packaged Tibet Permits (including TTB and other needed permits) for you to have a smoothly tour according to your tour itinerary. And express this permit to your final city before entering Tibet by flight or train.
Traveling from inland China to Tibet, you should send us necessary documents for application, including:
● Scanning copy of valid passport and an ordinary Chinese Visa
● Personal Info of your full name, gender, date of birth, passport number, nationality and occupation
● Other documents for Non Tourist Chinese Visa Holders: Beside the above mentioned documents, you will provide an extra certificate with a stamp of related organization to support yourself, including your personal information of full name, nationality, passport number, dates of entry and exit China, etc. For instance, working in China with a valid Z Visa, you will provide a certificate stamped of your company in China to your tour agency, along with the basic documents.
Traveling Tibet from Nepal, a Tibet Group Visa instead of an ordinary Chinese Visa is needed. Booking with us with personal info supplied, we can arrange your application in Kathmandu and guarantee you will get your group visa and Tibet Entry Permit. Before the application, you should provide your original valid passport to get a group visa. At the same time, we’ll send your scanning copy of valid passport and the group visa to make your Tibet Entry Permit approved.
Please note: Usually, we have to submit your document and information to Tibet Travel Bureau at least 10~20 days before leaving for Tibet (If you want to visit Ngari area, it will take about 20 days to apply Tibet permit). So you'd better tell us your plan and decide it as soon as you can.
Limited Scope of Power
After letting you enter Tibet successfully, TTB permit do have its limit. If you want to travel outside of Lhasa city to other areas, like Everest Base Camp of Shigaste, it is beyond the power, which means you need other permits, like Alien’s Travel Permit together to finish your Tibet tour thoroughly.
Note: after entering Tibet, there are many checking points on your tour way to check Tibet permits. Therefore, any of Tibet Travel Permits is quite important for your Tibet Tour from beginning to end.
Top Concerned Questions about Tibet Travel Permit
1. Why need permit to travel Tibet?Tibet as one part of China has unique political climate making it different from the rest regions. Therefore, a valid passport and Chinese Visa are no enough to visit Tibet. And a package of Tibet Travel Permits is needed for foreigners to visit here.
2. Who needs Tibet Travel Permit?Only foreign passport holders (including overseas Chinese without Chinese Passport) and visitors from Taiwan to Tibet need to apply for a visa, citizens of the mainland and SAR passport holders from Hong Kong and Macao do not need to apply. Note: Diplomats, Journalists, professional media photographer and government officials are not able to visit Tibet as Tourists and also can’t issue their Tibet permit through ordinary travel agencies.
3. Can I obtain my Tibet Permits on arrival of Tibet?Most of permits for travel to Tibet must be obtained before enter Tibet, excepting the Aliens’ Tourist Permit (PSB permit). For instance the Tibet Entry Permit (TTB permit), there are check points sited on airports and train stations to check this permit before you getting aboard to Tibet. Without a TTB permit, you can never catch your train/flight heading to Tibet. Also If enter a restricted area without the proper permit, you can be fined, detained and deported.
4. How to apply for Tibet Travel Permit?By visiting Tibet, foreigners need to book a Tibet tour with travel agency, who will help you to apply for Tibet Permits and other tour service provided. All you need to do are sending your scanning copy of your valid passport and Chinese visa 10-15 days before your visit, with personal info attached, including your name, nationality, passport number, sex, date of birth, occupation, etc. With all truly necessary documents supplied to us by email, we’ll offer you all-in-one Tibet Tour without worries.
5. How long can I get the Tibet Travel Permit?Generally it takes three days to approve a TTB permit with completed documents. And if your itinerary including Everest Base Camp, Mt. Kailash or Nyingchi Prefecture, the time to get approved will be extend a couple of days. When you get the permits, it may take another 2-4 days to express delivery. With more details, please check Tibet Permit FAQs.
Recommended Tour Packages
Escorted by a skilled private drivers and companied by a professional local tour guide to organize all the activities, all you have to do is to enjoy your fantastic Tibet journey. Time can never be wasted waiting for a group, hopping on and off buses or negotiating unfamiliar destinations.
Questions & Discussions
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.
Thanks for your question. Yes, the Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit must be obtained before your trip. You will need it to board fl-ight to Tibet. Usually, the Tibet Tourism Bureau only issues your permit about 20 days before your arrival at Tibet.
Thanks for your question. You don\'t have to pay for the permit fee if you book a tour package from a travel agency who will apply the permit from Tibet Tourism Bureau for you. And so far, tourists are not allowed to travel in Tibet independently, also not allowed to apply for the permit personally.
Tibet Discovery is glad to take you to have explore the best experience in Tibet. If you are planning a trip to Tibet, you can browse our collections of tour packages to find a suitable one, or just tell us your plan, our specialist will help you create a unique trip.
Thanks for your message. It is our honor to serve for you. You have to obtain a valid Chinese Visa first, and then let us apply Tibet Permit(visa) for you. According to policy of Tibet Tourism Bureau, travelers can not apply Tibet Permit independently. A helpful tip is you\'d better not mention your plan to visit Tibet to the embassy when you apply Chinese visa, or your application may be rejected. To give you more details, I will now deliver your message to one of travel specialist. He/she will reach you as soon as possible.
Thanks for your question. There will be two different kinds of Entry Permits for your group, one for Singaporean and Malaysian, and another different one for Taiwanese. And your group won\'t be seperated though different kinds of entry permits issued. All you have to do is to provide us your travel plan and passport and Chinese visa information, we will apply the permit for your group.
Have a questions? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: