All foreign travelers (Nepalese included), have to apply for the Tibet Group Visa in Kathmandu Nepal if you are getting to Tibet from Nepal. Maybe you already have the valid Chinese Visa and Tibet Travel/Entry Permit, thus you are only allowed to travel to Tibet from mainland China. The Chinese Visa will NOT be admitted and allowed to go to Tibet from Nepal at the customs office.
Tibet Group Visa - Must Have Travel Visa for Nepal Tibet Tour
What is Tibet Group Visa?
Tibet Group Visa is a special type of single entry Chinese visa usually maximum for 30 days and issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu Nepal for tourists who plan to travel to Tibet from Nepal, whether by flight or by overland driving. As a special regional visa regulation, Tibet Group Visa only covers all itinerary booked in Tibet or expanded tour in mainland China and is difficult to extend extra days.
Different from Chinese Visa printed on the travelers’ passport, Tibet group Visa is issued on a piece of A4 paper listing with name, sex, date of birth, occupation, nationality, passport number, entry and exit date of China. Please note that group visa requires every foreign visitor have to join in a Tibet tour organized by local travel agency, but the Tibet group visa can be applied by one single person or group of travelers with arranged tour guide, driver and vehicle and accommodation in Tibet.
Each traveler will get two copies of original Tibet Group visa issued by the Chinese embassy in Kathmandu. One will be checked and collected by immigration office when entering Tibet and another will be used for exit formalities when leaving China. All group members are compulsory to enter and exit at the same time and same place.
Tibet Group Visa
How to apply the Tibet Group Visa?
Since foreign tourists are only permitted to travel to Tibet with arranged tour schedules, lodging and accompanied by local travel guide, drive and vehicle, all you need to have to do is book a tour package from one reliable and professional Tibet travel agency, they will take care of all travel arrangements as you requested including the group visa application. Individual application from the Embassy is prohibited; travel agency can submit the Group Visa only. Get to know more details about the Tibet Group Visa with following introductions.
1. Book a Nepal Tibet Tour Package from TibetDiscovery, confirm your schedule, and decide where you will visit and how long you will stay.
2. Send us scan copy of your passport. We will apply Tibet Travel Permit and invitation letter from Tibet Tourism Bureau in Lhasa Tibet for you.
3. Our partner in Kathmandu Nepal will contact you to take your passport, visa fee and relevant supporting materials together with the invitation letter we give to submit the Tibet Group Visa application in Chinese Embassy on the weekdays (Monday to Friday).
4. Collect your Tibet Group Visa on fixed Group Visa working day, namely, Monday, Wednesday and Friday and set off to Tibet from Kathmandu Nepal. Our Tibet guide and driver will pick you up at the Gyirong border and escort you all the way during your Tibet travel.
5. Process extra Tibet permits upon arrival in Lhasa if you will continue Tibet travel to more Tibet destinations outside of Lhasa, Shigatse, Namtso and Nagqu.
Send Us Your Scan Copy of Passport & Others
Documents You Should Prepare:
Non-Chinese passport holders must prepare the following documents and certificates in order to get Tibet Visas & permits smoothly.
A. Valid Passport & Scan Copies of Passport. Passport is the basic and the most important travel document certificating holder’s identity and nationality. It should be valid for at least 6 months. Besides, tourist also need to prepare some scann copies for multiple cases, which will be used for TTB (Tibet Travel Permit, or Tibet Entry Permit) application in Tibet Tourism Bureau (TTB) for some working days.
B. Tibet Invitation Letter from Tibet Tourism Bureau. You don’t have to worry about this. Once you booked our tour service and confirmed the itinerary, we will use your passport information and arranged Tibet tour schedules to apply it from TTB with your authorization. The visa invitation letter will be delivered to Nepal office after we get it.
C. Original Passport & Completed Visa Application Form & Passport-size Photos. The photo is required to be a recent 48mmX33mm front passport-size photo on white background without hat on. Applicants don’t need to go to the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu in person. Our Nepal travel agency partner will submit the related documents to work it out.
D. Visa Fee & Service Charge. The Group Visa fee is distinct from different nationalities and processing time. If you apply for urgent Group Visa (2 working days) or extra urgent Group Visa (1 working day), the processing days will be cut down and the consulate fee is higher than regular service (normally 3 working days). Certain visa service fee will be charged by our Nepal local operator depends on how many group members you have.
A Valid Passport is Essential
Exchange Currency to Nepalese Rupee
Information of Embassy of PRC in Nepal
Ambassador: Mrs. Yu Hong
Address: Baluwatar, Kathmandu，Nepal
Ambassador Tel: 00977-1-4419389
Tel (daytime): 00977-1-4411740
International Call Code: 00977-1
Working Hour: From Monday to Friday
(9:00a.m.-12:00a.m. & 14:00p.m.-17:00p.m.)
Time Difference: Beijing Time (UTC/GMT+08:00) - 2h15mins
|Nationality||Time of Entry||Regular (US Dollar)||Urgent (US Dollar)||Extra Urgent (US Dollar)|
|Nepali Citizens||Group Visa (Single)||17||30||36|
|US Passport Holders||115||128||134|
|Albanian & Micronesian Citizens||2||2||2|
|Chilean Citizens||0||Urgent service fee only||Extra Urgent service fee only|
|Pakistani & Maldivian Citizens||0||0||0|
Note: The latest visa fee policy was updated on September 16, 2017. Charge Unit: US Dollar. The above visa fees are only provided for reference, subject to actual charges. )
What else visas & permits are required for Nepal Tibet Tour?
Tibet Autonomous Region (Tibet) is located in southwest China, borders on Nepal, India, Bhutan, Burma, Kashmir region and etc. There are plenty of tourism resources, distinctive Tibetan customs and culture, long history on this Qinghai Tibet Plateau. All of this makes it more attractive famous destination and need complicated permits for foreign travelers. Except the Tibet Group Visa, some regions require more specialized permits for visiting.
1. TTB also called Tibet Travel Permit, Tibet Entry Permit. Issued by Tibet Tourism Bureau, TTB is the foremost and compulsory official document which permits a foreign traveler to enter and travel in Tibet.
2. Border Pass. International travel between Nepal and Tibet China must be guaranteed by a Border Pass issued by Tibet Armed Police Border Corps in Lhasa. Visiting border areas like Ngari, Shigatse and Shannan Prefectures needs the Border Pass.
3. Alien’s Travel Permit - PSB Permit. Instead of being a must to enter Tibet, PSB Permits is a regional permit for foreigners to visit the areas outside Lhasa, like Shigatse, Shannan, Nyingchi, etc.
4. Military Permit will be needed when tourists want to visit unopened and military sensitive places, such as Ngari (Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, etc), Nyingchi (Pomi, Rawu, etc.) and some remote places in Shannan area.
Tibet Travel Permit
Tibet Group Visa VS Chinese Visa – difference between Chinese Visa and Group Visa
These two kinds of visas are often inquired and make lots of confusion when tourists decide to enter Tibet. Apart from the form of visa, TibetDicovery lists most frequently asked questions about difference between them to give you clear guideline. You are free to contact us for more queries.
1. From Where to Tibet. Chinese Visa with TTB is must - have travel documents when entering Tibet from mainland China. You can apply for the Chinese Visa in your home country or other third countries. However, the entry into Tibet from Nepal needs TTB & the Tibet Group Visa issued by Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu Nepal. Your previous Chinese Visa will be invalid if you actually get into Tibet from Nepal. The choice of the two visas depends on your tour route to Tibet.
2. Times of Entry. Chinese Visa includes many types of visa based on different visiting purpose when traveling to China. The Chinese Visa (“L” Visa for foreign tourists) can be a single-entry, double-entry and multiple entry visas, charged differently. Tibet Group Visa is a special single entry visa only can enter China Tibet once and expire when you exit.
3. Applied in Person or not. Tibet Group Visa only can be submitted and applied by Nepal Travel company, no individual applicant is allowed to do it. If you apply the Chinese Visa, you enjoy large freedom to apply in any authorized Chinese Embassies.
4. Holders of Visa. Tibet Group Visa applies to one tourist or large group of tourists, while the Chinese Visa can be only held individually.
5. Entry and Exit Regulation. Tibet Group Visa demands tourists enter Tibet and leave China at the same time and same place, while there is no such restriction about Chinese Visa holders. Normally they are free to choose which port to get in and out.
6. Extend or not. The Chinese Visa is extendable to a longer stay period with much more flexibility in any city authorized to issue, but Tibet Group Visa usually covers the already arranged tour in Tibet and mainland China, with little possibility to be prolonged when you finishing all the booked tour.
Enter Tibet from Nepal or Mainland China
Chinese Visa Application in Person in Canada
Nepal to Tibet Group Tourists
Recommended Nepal Tibet Tour Packages
Choose one of our travelers' favorite Tibet Nepal tours below to explore the mysterious Himalaya, with our local travel experts. All of the tours are customizable. You can also let us design your own Nepal Tibet itinerary to match your personal needs and interest.
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: