How to plan to a Tibet tour
Tour Lhasa in 4 Days
Four days in Lhasa will be plenty to see things slowly and adjust to the high altitude. Lhasa sits at nearly 12,000 feet or 4,000 meters. Note, altitude sickness can strike without prejudice - 22-year-old marathoners and 50-year-old couch potatoes have equal chances of getting it. Check our classic Tibet tours.
- Day 1 - Arrival in Lhasa
- Welcome to Tibet. You'd better avoid strenous activity for the first day, and it is advisable that you not take showers. Drink more water, have fresh fruit and plenty of rest will help to prevent the sickness.
- Day 2 - A Slow Day in Lhasa
In the morning, visit the Potala Palace, the imposing citadel where, historically, the Dalai Lama sat. In the afternoon, go to the Jokhang Temple, Tibet's holiest temple which contains a jeweled image of the Buddha.
After, experience the Barkhor, an old market square where you'll see wily Chinese and ancient Tibetans bargaining for goods.
- Day 3 - A Slow Day in Lhasa
On the third day, visit the Norbulingka Park, the former summer palace of Dalai Lama, and then come to the Drepung Monastery, once the larget Monastery housing 10,000 monks in its heyday.
In the afternoon, go to see the Sera Monastery, and the "Buddhism Scriptures Debating" in Sera is very famous. Enjoy the debate.
- Day 4 - Lhasa Departure or Namtso Lake Tour
Departure today. Or, if you still have one more day available, you're strongly recommended to see the Namtso Lake.
Add 2 More days to Explore Gyantse & Shigatse
Gyantse and Shigatse are the two most attractive tourist destinations if you go to see the Mount Everest.
- Day 5 - Drive to Gyantse
- Leave Lhasa in the morning to make your way by land to Gyantse. At nearly 13,000 feet (4,000m), Gyantse has not (yet) been turned into a Chinese tourism trinket and so you should enjoy a relatively traditional visit to this small mountain village that has retained much of its traditional architecture. Yamdrok Lake is the necessary one to stop by.
- Day 6 - Drive to Shigatse
- You'll visit the Tashilumpo Monastery and Polkor Monastery along the way. Shigatse is the second-largest city in Tibet and historically rivaled Lhasa for influence. The Panchen Lama, Tibet's second highest Buddhist incarnation, sits here at the Tashilumpo Monastery. Spend the afternoon walking through the vast complex that was established in 1447 by the first Dalai Lama.
Add 3 More days to visit the Giant Everest Mountain
- Mount Everest, Qumonlangma - needs no introduction
Add 5-7 More days for Ngari to Worship the Mount Kailash & Lake Manasarovar
Mt. Kailash is the most significant peak in the world without any known climbing attempts. Taking a trek to explore the holy heart of Asian Buddhism.
Manasarovar Lake is one of the clearest lakes in the world. Camping on the bank of the holy lake, cleansed your soul, and staying away from the mundane world
Recommended Tour Packages
Escorted by a skilled private drivers and companied by a professional local tour guide to organize all the activities, all you have to do is to enjoy your fantastic Tibet journey. Time can never be wasted waiting for a group, hopping on and off buses or negotiating unfamiliar destinations.
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts soon!
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email:
Questions & Discussions
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.
2) Can you arrange our train tickets (returned) fro Guangzhou to Lhasa? Who much would it cost?
Thanks for your message. You plan is great and doable. Whether you will form a group of your own or join in other group, the more people you have to book with us, the cheaper the price will be. There is a train to Lhasa from Guangzhou departing every other day. And of course we can book the tickets for you.
To help you better, I have delivered your plan to our Travel Specialists Team. One of them will reach you soon.
Best wishes to you!
2) other tour company can give me discounts. Can you give me for early booking of 10%?
Thanks for your message again. Train ticket for soft sleeper is 1,468 RMB. The Train Z264 leave Guangzhou at 11:45 AM and arrive at Lhasa at 17:30 of third day. Kindly alert that it is very long journey. If your purpose is to experience the Qinghai Tibet Railway, you can board the train from Xining so that the train journey can be shortened to within 22 hours. As for the discounts, I think we can also offer but the final discount will be based on the exact quotation on your group. Our travel specialist will reach you with details very soon.
Have a nice day!